Why we should question raising kids here....

Original post made by The Reverend on Apr 15, 2012

So, like a normal Sundays, I was returning from the local Peets coffee where the rest of the moderately privileged folks that live in our pretty little town. Sun shinning, nice brisk breeze, thinking to myself... "This is a nice place to live". I start to day dream that, I can't believe I live here now. I grew up in places so much dirtier and just overall sad. People here are nice, I thought. Or are they?
On my route home, there's a man that stands on the corner and sells strawberries. Nice man. Clean, respectful, even keeps his items for sale stacked nicely. I've actually stopped and purchased some. They're from a local farm; Man are they tasty. Ten times better than Safeway, at 1/4 the price.
So today... ya.. THREE, count the, THREE, police cars there. Hassling the guy. Neighbor out of his house, with one of the cops talking from a distance. The guy selling the strawberries is pleading his case to the Policeman, which is TOWERING over him in a physically controlling manner. Which I can understand, as strawberries can be SERIOUSLY dangerous. Imagine if that guy got to the berries before the 3 cops with 9mm's, and 3 shotguns. It could be a berry bath. As I approached the stop sign, it seems they are waiting for a 4th car to take the man (selling the DEADLY BERRIES) to jail. THIS is what you want our police doing? This is what you want to raise you children around? Are we SO sterile that someone selling berries on the corner should be removed by the police? I like strawberries. And his are better!!! What if that was a 12 year old danville kid, would it be a problem? Oh wait, it's the lack of permit, the man did not have one I bet? Right... unlike the Girl Scouts that VIOLATE EVERY CHILD LABOR LAW KNOWN TO MAN, but they're cute... I get it, my bad...

BTW -- I live across from a park, to which I have watched kid after kid after kid purchase drugs in cars night after night. I've called the police a dozen times. Is there a cop car sitting on my street at night? NOPER... but GOD DAMN THOSE STRAWBERRIES!!!! NOW we'll teach em!!!.. This is NOT a rant against the police. Someone CALLED them. Clearly!!! SOMEONE CALLED THE COPS TO STOP THE DANGEROUS SALE OF BERRIES!!!!.. Drugs sold from a danville resident under cover of night is ok, and or not really happening, cause your little ones that live HERE don't do drugs.

This is Danville. And I live here. And love it here, for the most part.. but this is NOT NOT NOT how you should raise your kids. These are bad lessons that will cause the issues later Danville. You know why? You're not wealthy enough to help them be this way. If you where you wouldn't live here. So my proof is, you live here.. So GROW UP!! Teach your children to be accepting....

With love Danville.

Posted by Danville, a resident of Danville
on Apr 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

"Reverend": If these are the same guys that have been selling strawberries and other fruits near the entrance to Sycamore, I am glad that the police finally told them to move their produce stand. I live near by, and this is a residential neighborhood, with alot of children who ride their bikes, and these guys actually go into traffic and are aggressive in trying to sell their produce, creating a dangerous intersection. If they want to sell their produce, go to the farmers market on Saturday, and follow the rules and regulations that everyone else has to follow, and do not just take over a residential neighborhood, without following the ordinances and regulations that apply to everyone else.

If the police ignore these guys, whats to stop other "merchants" from taking over our residential neighborhood and selling t-shirts, watches, and other unregulated items. By the way, one of the reasons we regulate selling of produce is so health inspectors can moniter the product, and make sure there are not illegal pesticides and fruit flies coming into our neighborhood. These gypsy produce guys follow no regulations or rules, just set up tent in our neighborhood, and who knows what pesticides or fruit flies they are dumping on our town. They also do not pay taxes or fees, which is unfair to their competitors who run legitimate farms and follow rules and regulations.

Danville also has an increase of car thefts and other property crimes, and I have noticed an increase of peddlers and other strangers going thru the neighborhood allegedly trying to sell things, while possibly just casing the neighborhood. The best way to prevent this type of crime is having neighbors call and report suspicious people who do not live in the neighborhood.

So, to answer your question, this is EXACTLY why we choose to raise our children in Danville, because the town and the police teach our children that everone has to play by the rules and regulations that serve to protect us, and they do not turn the other way and ignore violations to our communities health and safety. Thank you, Danville police, for enforcing the laws.

Reverend, if you want delicious, fresh, clean, and fruit fly free produce, I suggest you check out the legal and regulated Farmers Market downtown on Saturday. These merchants are following the law and should be rewareded for that, unlike the gypsy produce guys that illegally set up tent and think the laws do not apply to them.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Danville
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Indeed, we are beyond the days of peddling the fruits of our labors (pardon the pun - I could not resist) sans the ever necessary permits. As much as it seems harmless, if there are vendors who abide by the rules and purchase the permit to sell at Farmer's Market, should we reward those who set up shop without following the rules? Isn't this unfair to those who do?

As much as I want to stand up for the guys who take the initiative to sell on the corner (I've driven by them several times, and have seen the police talking to them also) my gut tells me that the money they receive likely goes to someone else - maybe the person who dropped them there much like the folks selling magazines who I can't seem to get off my porch.

Posted by Concerned citizen..., a resident of Danville
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:56 am

I want to know more about the dope dealing...which park in Danville??

Posted by Danville Parent, a resident of Danville
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:41 am

The park that I know of is the one off Sycamore and Greenbrook, near the tennis courts and smaller club house. Many residents have seen late night deals there. I only ever see Danville Police there with radar guns during the day.

Posted by Observation, a resident of Danville
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

Does Danville have grammar police?!?

Posted by sponge_bob_squarepants, a resident of Danville
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

Danville Parent - those are most certainly NOT radar guns you're seeing. Those are undercover, highly sensitive "sniffer" guns that can detect minute amounts of ganja. There is a clandestine operation going on there, called "Operation NOMOWEED" which is internally classified. So contrary to your belief, the Danville PD (including the motorbike brigade, canine corps, helicopter squad, and even the boat patrol at Oak Hill park are involved, either directly or indirectly. Rest assured - Danville PD is ON THE CASE!

Posted by Attorney at Large, a resident of Walnut Creek
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Here is a news flash. My daughter went to a rave with a couple of her girlfriends. They are all 17 years old. While there they met a young man and his friends. The girls thought the young men "interesting" in a way only known to another young girl. The young men ended up selling my daughter and her friends some drug called "X". The drug was supposed to make the girls enjoy the Rave event, or so the young men claimed. Apparently the facts all go awry at this point. But the gist of the rest of this story is this; the young men molested the girls and gave my daughter so much "X" that she went into a coma for 12 days. The leader of that rabid pack of young men was named Mike or Mark Patty. He apparently changed his name as the need arose throughout the night of the Rave. My daughter is awake now, but something changed in her head. She is "different" now. Scared of everything and easily brought to anger. When I reported this young man to the police, I was told that the young man, his father and some associates are under investigation for drug trafficking and some conspiracy crimes and that I was to allow them to do thier job and leave the "Walnut Creek Patty's" alone. It has been weeks now. I understand this Mike Patty is still out in society and still dealing his drugs to underage kids in the local schools. Where are the Police when something as horrific as this happens? I suppose they are also chasing down criminal strawberry dealers because they sure haven't arrested this family of drug dealers!

Posted by Teen Observer, a resident of San Ramon
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I know Mike Patty. No way he molested that girl. Sure he sells Meth and pot and X and sometimes herion. But he is not the kind of dealer that rapes his customers. Mike likes cash. He dont like rapists. He only sell best drugs he get from hes mom&dad. I dont beleve he raped that girl. You a lair.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

‘Much Ado’ or is it Adios for ObamaCare?
By Tom Cushing | 41 comments | 1,272 views

What about the annual housing cap?

DSRSD's Kohnen Scholarship on Hold

Be a sport: Send us your youth sports news, scores and photos
By Gina Channell-Allen | 0 comments | 159 views