Danville dentist on a mission to help orphans in Africa

Original post made on Sep 17, 2012

A Danville dentist is headed for Africa to literally bring smiles to people in Uganda. Dr. Mark Nadler is headed to his seventh mission trip and his second trip to an orphanage known as Otino-Waa Children's Village, which is in Lira, Uganda. Otino-Waa means "our children" in the Lua language spoken there.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 7, 2012, 12:50 PM

Posted by William, a resident of Danville
on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:46 am

While I think it is commendable he and his group travel to Africa to provide dental care, there are thousands right here in the US, not to mention thousands of homeless veterans that could use the care and help. I always wondered the motivation of people who do this. Not a criticism, just a comment and observation.

Posted by Citizen Paine, a resident of Danville
on Sep 17, 2012 at 8:56 am

Aye-Yi-YI!

William, there are also thousands (and Thousands) of other dentists hereabouts who wouldn't have to drag their butts all the way to flippin' Africa to assist those you deem somehow more worthy of this Good man's attentions. Way to screw-up an otherwise wonderful, feel-good story!

You damn with faint praise: "it is 'commendable'," and say your ridiculous post is just an "observation," but that's a crock.

SO, unconditional kudos to Doc Nadler and Dr. John Roberts, MD, who's also going. Remarkably, the article did not give his office address for donations, so I will:

Dr. Nadler Dentistry
185 Front St. Ste 105
Danville, CA 94526

THANKS, DOCS! -- and William: the next time you feel the need to make an observation, please remember the Thumper Rule (and go thump yourself, upside the head).

Posted by JJ, a resident of Danville
on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

Citizen Paine, is there a bit of chip on the shoulder? William was not denigrating the docs. Lighten up.

I find it interesting that they are asking for $10,000, for a "working vacation"?! Most of us have enough trouble paying for our own vacations. I have done humanitarian work in several nations and have never asked anyone to help "subsidize" my travels.

Posted by Citizen Paine, a resident of Danville
on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

Yeah, JJ, you bet I've gotta big ol' chip for folks who feel like they have license to editorialize on the good works of others. Unless William can demonstrate that HE provides all that assistance he wants to tell other people to do, he really ought to just STveryFU.

Thing is, if he Does provide such help, it's very likely he would never be inclined to criticize another person's choice of Cause. Because he'd know better.

And JJ, do you know what the $10K will be used for? I don't know either, but if I have to choose who gets the benefit of the doubt between you and them, it's Advantage Docs, by a wide margin.

Posted by bz, a resident of Blackhawk
on Sep 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Wow! Pretty sad when someone doing such an unselfish, and lifechanging thing is criticized!

I want to go on record to THANK these two men for their incredible gift to these very needy people!!

Posted by Diane, a resident of Danville
on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I'm not usually a bandwagon jumper, but geez - compassion doesn't have borders for many who want to give to others. Let's celebrate that spirit! I have contributed to campaigns of others who had the opportunity to travel abroad to volunteer in various capacities, and the talent to assist (@ jj these were not, by ANY stretch of the imagination, "working vacations"!). I'm happy to do it - I don't have the desire to travel abroad and I tend to volunteer here at home. I respect those who do spread their volunteer talents abroad, however!

Kudos to these great dentists!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.