Endeavor!

Original post made by Tom Cushing on Sep 21, 2012

Wow -- That was exciting! Nothing like the shuttle to turn me into a compleat, if somehwat wizened, fanboy.

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Of course, your heroes in the Obama administration (including BO) are mostly responsible for canceling space shuttle missions.

See Web Link

Posted by Tom Cushing, a resident of Danville
on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Tom Cushing is a registered user.

According to your own weblink:

"The Shuttle's chief purpose over the next several years will be to help finish assembly of the International Space Station. In 2010, the Space Shuttle — after nearly 30 years of duty — will be retired from service."

— President George W. Bush
January 14, 2004

The Obama Administration later extended the program by two flights, the last one being by Atlantis, in 2011. I'm not blaming either President for ending the program, which was originally intended to run for 15 years, not the eventual 31 years. It IS important to get your facts straight, even/especially via the links that you, your-very-own-self, inflict on us.

Of course, had it been further extended, you would argue that it's a wasteful federal boondoggle we can't possibly afford, that puts our brave men and women at-risk, having already cost 14 American astronauts their lives, right Rick?

As a wise man recently said: "there are no rules on bu!!sh!t mountain."

Posted by Diane, a resident of Danville
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Rick, can we just appreciate the splendor of the space shuttle? Is is really necessary to turn every opportunity into a partisan rant?

And...back to topic. I missed it! I was knee deep in work and the opportunity flew right by (pun intended). Thanks for the photo, Tom - not as great as the real thing, I'm sure, but a decent consolation prize.

Posted by Rick Pshaw, a resident of Danville
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:25 am

Me, my very own self, am also willing to be selective about which parts of the web link I cite. The very bottom of the link states,

"There were ample opportunities for other outcomes. The responsibility lies about 75% with the current management, including Obama, and about 25% with the people who established the plan in prior administrations without due consideration of other options."

This is no more than what I stated in my original post: "... the Obama administration (including BO) are mostly responsible for canceling space shuttle missions."

My 6th grade math teacher would agree that 75% could be construed as "mostly."

Regarding invective and Anglo-Saxon gutter language, I guess the kitchen got a little too hot...

Posted by Tom Cushing, a resident of Alamo
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

Good lord, Rick -- why would I not stand by the vernacular when your comment above just piles it higher?

Contrary to your assertion, your quote above comes from one of 51 (count-em) comments to the link, not the link itself, and there is ample material on both sides of the issue in those comments. Either you are counting on folks not following-up, which is a pretty standard BS tactic, or you were asleep when your teacher told you not to believe everything you read on the internet.

It seems to me, in contrast, that the quote from President Bush himself is pretty persuasive -- and it might have been the best decision he announced during his entire Presidency -- after all, BOTH Administrations have followed essentially the same course of action. That the counter-argument was made by Rick Perry, in Houston, in an election year, to workers whose jobs were thereby affected, also lends valuable context. The Dallas News article calls it a "moonshot."

Again, I don't care who drove the last nail -- it was time. To use this celebration of past achievement as an opportunity to take yet-another cheap shot at the Administration is what places you high-up on the mountain, in all its rarified, sulphurous splendor. I think you need some air.

Posted by jrm, a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:34 am

I had a great view of the shuttle as I was driving West along Crow Canyon Road, the 747 along with a fighter jet escort flew low over the Las Trampas Hills flying southwest towards the South Bay. Really cool. Ditto Diane, Rickshaw gets unhinged easily and I hope he will not go off the deep end when Obama wins the election. I imagine next he will blame Obama for the days getting shorter this time of year. I will look forward to seeing the Shuttle at it's new home. Lastly, regarding historic aircraft, if you haven't done so yet check out the Reagan library in Simi Valley. Air Force One is displayed there and you can walk on board and look at all the compartments. A must see!!

Posted by mary, a resident of Blackhawk
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I stood on my deck Friday morning hoping to see the shuttle. I saw it! It was beautiful! It made my day to see the 747 with the piggy backed Endeavor fly over the San Ramon Valley. How luck we all are in this wonderful area to have something so historically important fly over for us to see.
God bless America!

Posted by Danville, a resident of Danville
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

At the request of The Democratic Party, please do not mention God when talking about America.

Posted by George, a resident of Alamo
on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:47 am

Tom: The shuttle program indeed had a shelf life, but it's laughable that you cite the two mission extention as a measure of Obama's committment to the manned space program. To be accurate, GW pushed for funding for a new booster that would have the U.S. back on the moon, using the moon as a "spring board" for deep space exploration by 2020. Only one year into his presidency, Obama abruptly changed direction of the space program away from manned exploration. NASA funding was gutted under Obama. So... if we want to blame someone for the death of the U.S. manned space program... now you know. See you at the polls.

Posted by Tom Cushing, a resident of Alamo
on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

Hi George: Web Link (sfw), because I never intended your interpretation.

... and one other thing -- the next time I post a thrilling, apolitical photo hereabouts, you can bet I'll use an alias. Sheesh.

Posted by Diane, a resident of Danville
on Sep 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Tom, I guess you can't cast even apolitical pearls before swine...(I couldn't resist - sorry!).

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.