Danville unemployment at 3.3 percent in December

Original post made on Jan 27, 2014

The Tri-Valley is doing well compared to the rest of Contra Costa and Alameda counties, and compared to the state as well, according to the latest figures from the state Employment Development Department.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, January 24, 2014, 1:59 PM

Posted by Bob costas, a resident of Danville
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:58 am

Gee--another bunch of poor reporting. Where are the stats of all the ppl who have given up looking? Where is the info on all the ppl renting out rooms to make ends meet? Some ppl are renting half of THEIR bed at $450 a month! Where are the stats on the free/reduced school meals? Your readers are not as gullible as you would hope.

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Danville
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 am

Um, Bob? You're not being quite as clear as I think you think you are. What exactly are you trying to say? And what is the nature of the "gullibility" you refer to?

And by the way, before I rent half of someone's bed for $450 a month I'm going to want to know who is in the other half of the bed. Could be a deal breaker; could be a deal maker. The devil's in the details.

Posted by JP, a resident of Danville
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 am

Does Bob want a roster of everyone unemployed in Danville? You need to just relax and think about your panic on the "poor reporting". What you need to focus on is that the unemployment level in Danville is at XX percent...compared to YY percent in another town/area. It is a relative number...not just here, but everywhere.

Renting half a bed per month is another issue altogether.

Posted by Tim Tomorrow, a resident of Danville
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Coming soon, to an internet near you: Air1/2BnTnA -- we take couch surfing to a whole new level!

Ask about our FwB* specials (recent photo required -- aw hell, never mind. We'll just look on facebook).

*friends with benefits

Posted by Dan, a resident of Danville
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:51 am

I SAW the craigslist $450 offer of renting half of a strangers bed--!!!! I emailed out of curiosity and peso. Said she was "thin" so it could "work"! I too, want to see the stats of how mcnugget are no longer looking. "Huh" is a non-entity on these boards.

Posted by Sandy, a resident of Danville
on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:08 am

Bob is correct, reporting of UI stats never captures those who have fallen off the UI roles. I'm one of those and I live in Danville. Congress cut the extension of benefits off in October leaving me without income. After almost 2 years of job search I've decided to take Social Security Income but that won't start until mid April. I want to work - I tried very hard to get another job - but age discrimination is real. I've lived in Danville for 22 years and Alamo for 3 years before that so I would like to stay in my community. Hopefully, I will be able to with the aid of SSI and two little part-time jobs. So, I'm also one of those low income creatures everyone seems to fear living in Danville.

Posted by Tightwad, a resident of Danville
on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Unemployed people shouldn't expect taxpayers to subsidize their Danville lifestyles.

Imagine how much someone could save over 25 years living in a cheaper place like Concord or Pleasant Hill rather than an expensive place like Danville or Alamo.

People need to be more self-reliant rather than always looking for a government handout.

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Danville
on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

"I emailed out of curiosity and peso. ... I too, want to see the stats of how mcnugget are no longer looking."

Bob is unclear, but Dan has entered a new realm of bizarre thought-clouds.

Posted by Sandy, a resident of Danville
on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Hey, Tightwad - I am extremely self-reliant and fiscally conservative. I've been in Danville 22 years and I have no plans to move to Concord. When I moved here it was a downgrade from Alamo.

There is no shame in taking UI it is a safety net to help when your job goes away. So I'm here in Danville and I'm gonna stay right here so get used to it!!! But please feel free to move to Concord yourself!

Posted by Sandy, a resident of Diablo
on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Tightwad - one more thing - taxpayers are not subsidizing my Danville lifestyle. I paid into UI. I also pay my taxes so what am I subsiding for you???

Posted by Xin Han, a resident of Danville
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:49 pm

@Sandy
Move from Alamo to Danville is NOT a downgrade. Alamo is full of losers like Julia Pardini.

Consider yourself lucky to have moved here 22 yrs ago and shown a better way of life.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.