Retired immigration judge to run for Congress

Original post made on Jan 29, 2014

A retired immigration judge from Danville has thrown his hat into the ring as a Republican candidate for the congressional seat soon to be vacated by U.S. Rep. George Miller (D-Martinez).

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 3:11 PM

Posted by Frank delacroix
on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:47 am

ANYONE but a democrap for us!!

Posted by Sue
on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:46 pm

How refreshing! We may actually have a choice of a non-politico! And someone with a great work ethic!

Posted by bz
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I agree_ refreshing!I look forward to learning more about him!

+   1 person likes this
Posted by JJ
on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Careful what you wish for....Arnold was a "non politico" and look how messed up the state became under him.

Posted by Jan
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Mar 10, 2014 at 1:32 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Judge Phan last year and was checking out his site. He seems to be a man of knowledge, integrity and resilience. He reminds me of Mc Cain-- and I don't mean the age;) I think his experience in Immigration will be valuable in dealing with the issue. I think the moderates of both side would like him, and hope they do come out to vote. Moderates tend not to vote as much and leave it to the extremists. We need more representatives like Judge Phan in Washington. Someone who has a stand, but open minded to listen to the argument and hope he will do what is best for the people.

Posted by M. Sher
a resident of another community
on Mar 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Disclosure: another potential candidate I know showed me the Judge's open letter, but I am writing on my own behalf.

The Judge explains why he wants to go to Congress as follows:

"I decided...to run for the U.S. Congress... because I believe that the free Vietnamese-Americans and the people of Vietnam should have a voice on the international forum; and at this time, the forum is the U.S. Congress."

Web Link

I am astonished this candidate would receive either Party's endorsement. I believe members of Congress, whatever their background, should represent Americans, not the population of another country.

I also noticed the Judge is on both sides of every issue. He wants American leadership in the world, but believes in "a balance of power." He believes in the sanctity of life and wouldn't uphold abortion, but he wouldn't interfere in a woman's private choice. He believes in 2nd Amendment rights, but those right have "to be tempered to protect the general safety of our society."

So other than being the voice of the Vietnamese people, what does this candidate stand for?

Posted by Truusje
on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I would think that republicans, especially the affluent, consider themselves, informed voters.
So if you really want a better representative, do yourself a favor and read about whom your choice of candidate says himself, he will be representing, once you send him to Wash. DC. Web Link

What do you call the people who voted for Obama, because he is Black? "Drones".
What would you call educated people who vote for a candidate, only because he has an "R" behind his name? "Dumber Drones"