San Ramon attorney sentenced in 'dirty DUI' case

Original post made on Feb 5, 2014

A San Ramon family law attorney specializing in divorce cases has been sentenced to two years in federal prison as the latest in the so-called "dirty DUI" cases. Mary Nolan, 62, was convicted of unlawful interception of telephone communications and tax evasion.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 11:01 AM

Posted by Bill, a resident of Blackhawk
on Feb 5, 2014 at 8:42 am

Imagine that a crooked attorney. What is this world coming to?

Posted by Nancy , a resident of Danville
on Feb 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Think of all the lives this felon ruined. Many got screwed in their divorces because of her dirty tactics. If she has any money left I hope the civil suits overwhelm her.

Posted by Wasnotwas, a resident of another community
on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:02 pm

And she will never be able to practice the law, uh I mean the "racket" ever again.

I agree Bill. The profession, known as the "racket," reminds me of a great Bible verse:

Luke 11:46 And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Danville
on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:17 am

Yeah, it's a shame how lawyers force their clients to go along with unethical practices. Think of all those poor clients, saying: "No, no! only want you to use ethical, above-board tactics, so that a result that is fair to my ex results!" And forcing the police and PI's to go along, too. Nothing bad ever would have happened if the lawyer hadn't made everyone else involved go along with her evil plans. I'm sure lots of potential clients recoiled in horror and went away to find a more ethical lawyer to hire once they found out what she was planning on doing, right?

Yeah - lawyers are the source of all evil.

Posted by Hexster, a resident of Danville
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Luke 11:46

Jesus replied, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

Hey Huh? Um, might this warning be of importance to you?

Posted by Mike P., a resident of Walnut Creek
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Way to go Huh! Stick up for a convicted felon. That a boy! You must be a defense attorney? Ex-con?

Posted by Huh II, a resident of Danville
on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Just because Huh makes a good point, that lawyers' clients are all too often inclined to go along with their unfair or unethical schemes, is no reason to malign him. But just because lawyers are not the sole source of evil doesn't give them a free ride when they carry it out...I'm glad this one got caught!

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Danville
on Feb 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I absolutely agree that this lawyer should be jailed and disbarred. No issue with that at all. But the idea that the lawyers are the source of all this bad conduct? I suggest you ask some lawyer about how many times he or she has refused to take some action a client wanted just to "get" someone they were mad at, or to apply pressure unethically.

Oh, there are lawyers who will do it.

But there are 100 crooked would-be clients for every crooked lawyer, and 100 times a lawyer says: "Nope, I won't do that for you" for every time one says: "Hey, how about we [insert unethical or illegal conduct here]."

I take exception to the previous posters' suggestion that lawyers are the ones who drag down the community's ethical standards. You have no idea what **clients** will try to get a lawyer to do. And yes, I've worked as a lawyer for many years and have turned down **many** would-be client's requests to do things that I didn't feel were appropriate and declined to pursue **many** cases that I felt were not meritorious. Those would-be clients didn't need any lawyers to help them think up frivolous claims or dream up less-than-ethical ways to try to pressure someone into doing what they wanted. Many times they expressed outrage that I wouldn't do it.

There's even a special legal procedure for dealing with "vexatious litigants" - people who abuse the legal system by filing baseless lawsuits without a lawyer, because none will work for them. Yes, there are unethical lawyers. In this case, there were unethical cops, PI's and clients, too. That's a reflection on our society, not the legal profession.

Hexter: I'm old, but I wasn't practicing in Jesus' day, so I can't comment on the standards of the profession in that jurisdiction at that time. I suspect the day-to-day activities of whatever passed for a lawyer back then had little similarity to what a public defender or immigration lawyer these days does. So without meaning disrespect to your religious beliefs, I don't think your comment has as much significance as you seem to feel that it does.

Posted by Derek, a resident of Blackhawk
on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Methinks Mooshelle Bammy and the clintons were disbarred once upon a time---this chick should go I to politics on the dem ticket!

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Danville
on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:27 am

Actually, "Derek" you don't "thinks" at all. You just parrot long-since debunked right wing internet myths and flaunt a disgusting lack of respect for the first lady, demonstrating a significant lack of simple courtesy which is sadly too common amongst your fellow right wing nut jobs.

So, Derek, in two lines of text you've managed to demonstrate that you are ignorant, gullible, and low class. Pretty impressive for a single sentence!

Posted by Derek, a resident of Danville
on Feb 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

It seems I have an evil right wing counterpart here Huh......
Easily identified because he (allegedly) lives in Blackhawk, and I wouldn't reside there if you stuck a knife in my groin.

Posted by Member , a resident of another community
on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Actually, the Victim, was NOT apart of the "Dirty DUI" scheme at all.... Media should be careful.... Defamation of character can be costly.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.