Ice cream company recalls products for potential health risks

Original post made on Mar 26, 2014

Helados La Tapatia, a large ice-cream distributor, has issued a recall for its ice cream, popsicles, fruit bars, fruit cups and bolis due to possible health risks, the Monterey County Health Department has announced.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 10:39 AM

Posted by Ann samuelson
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hello? Why would anyone buy a product related to a third world culture? Although supposedly made in the US---I would guess the workers in so Cali have questionable basic hygiene knowledge.

Posted by Julia Pardini
on Mar 26, 2014 at 5:18 pm

@Ann - very smart observation. I agree.

Thanks for listening.
Julia Pardini from 100% hygienic, cultured and developed Alamo

Posted by Dave
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm

What an ignorant comment (and echo).

Since when are frozen fruit bars "related to a third world culture? Last time I checked, Dole also sells frozen fruit bars.

Just another gratuitous, elitist comment by the uninformed.

Posted by Dale
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Hey Dave---give them to the youngsters in your family!! Betcha you won't!!!!!! Sucker!!!! I totally agree with the posters who call it the way it is----dirty hiring----dirty products.

Posted by Ignorance in the Burbs
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:29 am

I can't believe the ignorance and ridiculous comments made by Ann Samuelson, Julia Pardini and Dale. You all represent the worst of humanity and I would bet you are all "Christians". It's people like you that make me anxious to leave the Danville/Alamo area.

Posted by Conservator
on Mar 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

"Why would anyone buy a product from a third world culture?"…which are attributed to a Fresno (CA)-based company…hmmm… It's been awhile since the formal academic days but something seems quite amiss with the geographical considerations.

Perhaps we should all take up a formal protest at Draegers? As scandalous as it may be to believe, it is likely that you may be able to procure such foodstuffs as vanilla from Madagascar, rock salts from the original silk road regions of Afghanistan and Croatian white truffles amongst many, many third to old world products at their store. Again, "Why would anyone buy…."

Ann, why not just write it like you're thinking it? I suspect that you just don't want to consume anything that makes you think about Mexico and the Spanish label is all that it takes for you. I'll disclaimer any references to Taco Bell as that 'place' is probably acceptable to you.

Posted by cardinal
a resident of Diablo
on Mar 29, 2014 at 1:46 pm

"Export 'em!"

-- Paria Juldini from Olama

Posted by Greg Mcdougall
on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:24 am

Hope "ignorance in the Burbs" moves soon. Noted he ran to Christian bashing although cloaked in velvet. And Conservator needs to take a reading course as in no way did the posters he despises -other opinions not allowed- ever claim the sickening dessert was from 'Mexico! Most likely a Mexican company that doesn't practice "diversity" in hiring nor basic cleanliness standards of THIS country.
Blissful idiots.

Posted by Conservator
on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:23 am

@GM,

Good show! I'm quite impressed that you had the gumption to spell it out in the way that you and many like you truly think. However, allow me to acknowledge that a food label with a Spanish name could certainly have had Iberian origins which then would have made my early prognostication completely errant. Silly me.

Yet, the READING that I did on this one seemed to point towards CENTRAL CALIFORNIA (i.e. Fresno, CA) as the source and site of manufacture. Again, I maybe it's just me.

You bring up a POTENTIAL point that this serious issue of food borne illness may just be attributable to company's that predominately cater to the Hispanic culture. Hmmm. Allow me to highlight where to look for ALL of the food related recalls and emergency notices (Web Link).

Could you ever imagine that just since the March 19th recall by Helados La Tapatia that a farmer's market in Marietta, GA, a gourmet cheese manufacturer in upstate Warrensburg, NY and bagged salad from Salinas (that might just be available locally!) all had recalls due to possible Listeria monocytogenes (Web Link). Greg, Ol' boy, could you every imagine that this nasty bacteria just seems to know NO cultural, geographical or racial lines? It seems to like the bellies of us all. I tell you, friend, we learn something new everyday.

Posted by Linda
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Mar 31, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I'm Latina and will NOT buy anything from Mexico for consumption - yes, I'm educated, Conservator. The health standards of these companies even in the US are abysmal. In Redwood City a woman died from eating at a mom/pop Mexican restaurant. They were shut down and later allowed to reopen!

Posted by Conservator
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Dear Linda,

I respect your personal opinion. Just to be sure that I understand the merits of your statement, were you indicating that your 'educated' position would NOT allow you to consume anything from Mexico or did that also include NOT consuming any foodstuff prepared by someone whose linage is drawn from Mexico?

If it's the later, you truly must have some kind of insight….

Posted by Ignorance in the Burbs
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Linda -

I'm not sure I understand your comment that "The health standards of these companies even in the US are abysmal". By these companies do you mean companies with Spanish names or companies that market to the Spanish speaking population or companies that are in Fresno? And are you insinuating that there is a separate set of health standards for these companies. Or are the overall health standards for companies in the US abysmal? Your logic eludes me even giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just a racist.