Monte Vista High focuses on safe driving with Every 15 Minutes presentation

Original post made on Apr 14, 2014

Monte Vista High students got a personal glimpse at the potentially traumatic effects of driving while intoxicated last week, taking part in the school's Every 15 Minutes educational event.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, April 13, 2014, 10:20 PM

Posted by MV Parent
on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

My daughter thought this was a fantastic experience.

Posted by Marie
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:18 am

This sounds like it could be a good program, but my son thought that most of the students made a joke out of it last year at SRVHS. There were way too many classroom interruptions. And girls exaggerating by crying during the day and interrupting more class time. I would love to volunteer to participate to see for myself and draw my own conclusions.

Posted by Parent of MVHS senior
a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Apr 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Every 15 Minutes was a wonderful wonderful program! Thank you. I appreciated being able to volunteer in a small way to facilitate the larger amount of volunteer work and planning that took place to create this event and learning for our students. Thank you MVHS Principal Janet Terranova for supporting the program. Thank you to the grantors, to our community donors, and to the key parents Laurie, Gia, and many many dedicated others who put this together.

This program focused on the consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol (at any age!)and driving with distraction (texting, in this case).

Please remember that alcohol affects judgment and can result in tragic consequences for the user and those connected to the user whether combined with driving or whether combined with other activities (i.e. swimming, diving, skiing, simply socializing for some). Excessive use of alcohol is a problem outside the car too.

Posted by Parent of MVHS senior
on Apr 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

(Note just prior is from "a resident of Danville" not "a resident of Monte Vista High School".)

Posted by Derek
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I absolutely applaud what the school is doing. In addition to these programs, I think that adults who have collected a second distracted-driving ticket should be forced to attend a preventive-mayhem class. If they fail to attend, then they lose their license for six months just as an inebriated driver would.
I was following some dingbat blonde (natural hair color, I'm quite sure) in a black Range Rover SUV on San Ramon Valley Blvd Thursday morning around 10:30, approaching Crow Canyon. I could not figure out why she was only going 13 m.p.h. and seemed to be having trouble coloring between the lines. Then I got in the right turn lane for Crow, looked at her, and she was messing with her tweety-texter and looking straight down at her lap. Totally unaware where she was, if anybody was behind her, beside her, flipping her off (very likely), or what color the light was in front of her. Had I been a cop, she would not have known anything until I flipped on the siren.
Somehow she had either the job skills to earn the money for this type of vehicle, or the luck to marry a successful guy, yet none of that gave her the ability to drive a car with a shred of common sense.