Dougherty Valley water supplier implements use restrictions

Original post made on May 13, 2014

People living and working in the Dougherty Valley area of San Ramon face new water restrictions as their water provider works to address supply shortages amid statewide drought conditions.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, May 12, 2014, 5:52 PM

Posted by Julia, a resident of Alamo
on May 13, 2014 at 8:23 am

Yes...and build more homes...Your city officials have their head in the sand.

Build, Build and Build some more...Maybe they should sit down and think and use their head for something other than a hat rack.

Thanks for listening, Julia from Alamo

Posted by Peter, a resident of Danville
on May 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Meanwhile, CC County is still considering allowing a massive new cemetery on Tassajara even though they have no idea where the water will come from to run this operation. And the city of San Ramon allows almost every massive development proposal. At the minimum, San Ramon, if they approve any new development, should allow only native landscaping that does not require irrigation.

Posted by GG, a resident of Danville
on May 13, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Hell hath done froze over.....I agree with Julia from Alamo.

Posted by Proud from San Ramon, a resident of San Ramon
on May 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

The problem with this new blended Danville San Ramon express is that now San Ramon residents have to hear how inept and stupid we San Ramon residents are from people who don't even live here, and who presumably live in wonderfully perfect idyllic locations like Danville and Alamo where there are perfectly planned everything. I'm thinking Alamo has how many parks? how many pools? how many community centers? how many libraries? how many community theaters? how many play fields for their youth? how many senior centers? A robust and thriving City does have development, and many other services and amenities that go along with it.

Posted by April, a resident of Danville
on May 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

@Proud, agree with you. We live close to SR border and love what the combination of our two cities has to offer.

You are referring to Julia the Fool from Alamo, ignore her - she is a mess.

Posted by concerned for water, a resident of San Ramon
on May 15, 2014 at 6:33 am

what is the map(boundaries) for this initiative?

Posted by Ms. bunny, a resident of San Ramon
on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 am

The cemetery requires massive water? REALLY? -That's only if they employ grass everywhere as opposed to hardscape, some artificial turf, etc. I suspect it will be very conservative and a real boon aesthetically to the existing ugliness of Dougherty valley in general (sorry, but true - just one massive "wall to wall" development with LITTLE "breakup" of space)

I'd be and I am, more concerned about the water it's going to take to supply the new 740 homes on Faria in San Ramon...Remember: this development was approved long ago. Again I say, you can't trump the developer's right to build on their land, you can only mitigate factors involved therein. The city's hands are "tied" to some degree and that should be fairly obvious to most of you.

BTW? I have no problem with "sister city" Danville citizens commenting. C'mon, we're all in one west valley here, aren't we? We share many of the same issues.

Posted by Shari, a resident of San Ramon
on May 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I would like to know how much water I am using now like by the day so I would have an idea how I am doing. Not wait a month to find out if I am over or under the restriction. Is that information somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Posted by tiki3, a resident of San Ramon
on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Shari, I'd like that, too.

Ms Bunny, after doing a quick search, it seems traditional cemeteries use more water than at least I suspected. Makes sense, though, considering how much grass there is. I did a search for "hardscape cemeteries" and wasn't too thrilled with what google had to offer. Could you post some links to some examples of what you have in mind?

Posted by Flylooper, a resident of Danville
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:14 am

I recently (early June) visited my sister in Danville, driving down from my home in Oregon. I once lived in Dublin so I am not a stranger to the area. What absolutely floored me was how green everything was. People's lawns were uniformly manicured and lush, shrubbery was looking perfect, the Crow Canyon golf course was in perfect condition and, even, a few folks were washing their Audis in their driveway. How, I asked myself, do these people delude themselves into thinking the worst drought in California history has nothing to do with them? Good Lord, people! Wake up.

Aside from the outright ugliness of the cookie cutter housing and shopping malls which have evolved everywhere in that valley, it looks like the Tri Valley is ripe for looking like a bloody ghost town when the water finally runs out. Unrestricted development has done y'all in.

Posted by Flylooper, a resident of another community
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:22 am

BTW, I'm not a resident of Danville. And don't want to be.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.