Danville council candidate nomination period begins July 14

Original post made on Jul 7, 2014

Danville residents interested in running for one of the two Town Council positions can receive their nomination paper by July 14.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, July 6, 2014, 10:14 PM

Posted by Julia
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:58 am

Interesting how the author (Amanda Aguilar) also typed in a scare paragraph waring possible contenders for a sit on the town council that they will be going against two strong and well liked current incumbents.

Great way to help control who is in and who doesn't try to get in.

Sorry to read, but not surprised how the Danville Express is consciously or unconsciously (maybe) supporting their choice for town council.

Thanks for listening and hopefully commenting, Julia Parding from Alamo.

Posted by No to Storer and Stepper
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

@Julia. Neither Storer nor Stepper are well-liked. Storer owns a construction company that builds high-density homes. He got tax breaks for one he built in Danville while he was a Danville Planning Commissioner. Stepper also supports high-density development in Danville.

Both also approved the wildly unpopular,much-maligned Elworthy West Ranch development on land that was designated as Agricultural in the Danville General Plan. KB Homes is now selling the 100 units (including 12 apartments) it built there. The two denied the public their right to vote on that project pursuant to Measure S, approved by Danville voters in 2000. The Council is now being sued by a citizens' group called SOS-Danville, and a judge has tentatively determined that they violated the Danville General in an apparent effort to avoid a Measure S public vote on the SummerHill Homes 69+ home project for Magee Ranch.

Posted by Julia
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for the details info...

I am pleased to see heat coming down on them..

Oh okay, maybe the Danville Express was just making the Danville folks aware of the available seats up for grab and hoping to stimulate interest for others to go for it... If that's the reason...my apology's to the Danville Express author.

I didn't know Storer and Stepper were so self-serving.

It appears this election in November may be exciting for the folks in Danville.

Thank you for clearing up that issue.

Julia Pardini from Alamo

Posted by Derek
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:32 pm

All five are hacks, but even these two stand little chance of being defeated. The best anti-incumbent advertisement would be a huge spray-painted slogan across the front of the ElWarty gulag prison wall-
"Like this project? Vote Stepper and Storer for more of the same"

Posted by concerned voter
on Jul 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

@Derek: Why don't you run? Anyone else out there that would like to throw your hat in the ring? There were actually good choice in the 2012 election (Bob Nealis and Jim Jelincic), but Arnerich and Doyle and the other three Council members scheduled the hearings on the 2030 General Plan and the SummerHill project until after, or just before, the election, so those controversial matters could not be issues in the election.

Posted by I Love Danville
on Jul 8, 2014 at 11:49 am

Danville is a beautiful place and we are lucky to have a Council that supports slow & responsible growth. What about Maryann Cella for Council? She is cooky enough to represent those who wants pearly gates around their nice homes.

Posted by Derek
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Concerned voter-

Why don't I run? That's a fair enough question, but at the risk of sounding like a whining nimby complainer who does nothing to change the status quo.... I honestly would have trouble sitting in a small room dealing with the other three - and I am a friendly acquaintance of one of them. I truly think I would get so flabbergasted, that videos of me losing it would end up on youtube. I've been at a couple local parties where Arny was present, and boy does he impress me as a great..... used car salesman. I just don't think I could interact in a civilized way, even though if you met me you might think I could.
I am being as sincere as I can be when I say that I would rather give myself a dermabrasion with a belt sander than be involved in politics. The closest I came was collecting a little over 200 signatures to have James Watt removed as Raygun's interior secretary. An effort that was fruitful, as history shows. And I have worked more recently on some environmental issues, but that's about it.

Posted by Treetopper
on Jul 15, 2014 at 8:43 am

I'm amazed at you people. Willing to swing mud, but not willing to get splattered. Every person I know that has ever ran for office (of any type), always gets a bad rap. Our Town council works very hard to try and keep the flavor of Danville. They realize, however, that we do not live in a vacuum. We have no choice but to move in the direction of development. The best thing to do is to slow the growth and they seem to do that very well.