Nominate "D": when the commentator becomes the real jornalist

Original post made by Mominator, Blackhawk, on Aug 20, 2014

I hope the editors actually read this. This mom comes here to read community news, and occasionally check out a blog entry, if the title catches my eye. A little diversion from an otherwise very busy life. In the last year or so, I have stumbled upon a particular commentator who, shall I say goes by the name "D." I used "D," because some have found his name a little offensive. Knowing where the name came from, "Southpark," yes I have teenage boys, I can see why it is not everyone's favorite. Personally, I think it is funny, goats and all. However, his nom de plume, should not discourage anyone form reading his content. It has easily become the most entertaining thing here. Perhaps the editors can convince him to have his own column?

I personally would love to see this person write a column here. "D" are you listening? I nominate your entries on last week's R' Caucasus as posts of the year. Your commentary is often much better than anything I see on a lot of major news outlets.

Looking at the statistics, it is obvious that when he shows up, things are a heck of a lot more interesting. To be honest, I look at the caucus to see if he is there. If not, I usually click away, as I think a lot of people do. I hope Tom Cushing can not delete things here too!

Posted by Mominator
a resident of Blackhawk
on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Gads, I misspelled journalists, but can't fix it! Help!

Posted by Alan Richardson
on Aug 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I second the nom.! Dirka is fair and balanced, we need more of that around here. He's funny too.

Posted by Peter Kluget
on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

There is no question that Dirka is every bit as "fair and balanced" as Fox News is. Getting updates from that Universe is always interesting. Such as:

"Ask yourself, have ever seen a cop beat down by a criminal and murdered while a crowd cheered? This is horrifying and it does happen."

This is the world "journalist D" lives in. Always good to get regular updates. Why bother with "major news outlets" when you can get breaking news like that from your local "journalist."

Posted by Ms. bunny
on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:28 am

He's a very interesting commentator.
I may not always agree with him?
But he "gets" how to agree to disagree for the most part and that I can respect.
-Where indeed is Dirka these days? (sigh!)

Posted by AnneMcD
on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:02 am

We are fans of Dirka too. He seems to have common sense positions down and offsets extreme positions well. He is the funniest intellectual commentator here by far. We love the fact that he brings some comedy to serious subjects without losing track of this issue. A fabulous commenter indeed.

After reading his posts last week, have to give him the win. He is usually the most entertaining thing here.

Posted by Gumshoe
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I worry about a couple things. He's a one-trick pony, who'll soon lose interest. And he needs to learn to vary the cadence and content of his friends' posts, so it is less obvious that they all have ... ahem ... a common origin.

I also don't think he's really interested. If so, he'd have discovered that this stunt is not pre-requisite to becoming a blogger.

Posted by STakahashi
on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm

He makes the best comments here. I make another vote for DirkaDirka. His comments are better than the articles.

Posted by eddycaster
on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

The fact that there are so many haters out there is good enough for me. It tells me people are reading his stuff. The other side likes to try to silence their opponents by out screaming them. Another vote for Dirka! How about a point counter point column with Cushing! He shreds him regularly. This reader is not a fan of Cushing's methods. Like Dirka says, he comes across as dishonest.

Comments: 73 | Views: 2,129 It sure looks like he attracts readers when he shows up! Looking at the historical stats, it's pretty telling. What happens when he is gone? The stats are more than double the views.

I don't always agree with him, but he is certainly the most entertaining thing here.