Town Square

Post a New Topic

Candle blamed for Alamo blaze

Original post made on Sep 20, 2009

An unattended candle in a three-story house on Vine Lane in Alamo is being blamed for a blaze this morning that caused $500,000 in damages. Neighbors called 9-1-1 when they saw smoke coming from the upper floors.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, September 20, 2009, 2:51 PM

Comments (8)

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Sydney
a resident of Rancho Romero Elementary School
on Sep 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Nice job SRFD. You saved this house and all their belongings. It was very, very impressive to watch. Much appreciated.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Julia
a resident of Alamo
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:20 am

Sydney...it's obvious you have never had a home fire. Oh yes they saved this house from burning to the ground...and I don't believe they saved ALL there belongings, as you indicated.

I'm sure the owners would be much happier if it all burned down. When the firemen dump thousands of gallons of water in the uppers floor you can be assured the lower floor are worthless.

Estimated damage at 400K and 100K...dream on. That number will triple when the experts and the home owner start calculating.

I feel for them...the damage is much more then reported. The emotional loss is even worse.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Alamo Resident
a resident of Alamo
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:25 am

GREAT JOB SRVPFPD!!! Apparently Julia doesnt see the need for Fire Departments and in her world every house should burn to the ground. Julia, when our house catches fire make sure you dont call the fire department.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by hmmm
a resident of Alamo
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:08 am

I see what Julia was saying. Four of the rooms were completely gutted with nothing left. The first floor has to be re done also because of all the water damage. The third floor had problems also. Not to mention, the smoke damage. I think we can all agree on the fact that SRVFD was amazing here. But when there is sm much work to be done, it's almost like you'd rather start over.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Alamo resident
a resident of Alamo
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:39 am

Why is Julia acting like firefighters did something wrong? The residents are the ones who left the candle burning unattended. If not for the firefighters the fire could have jumped to neighbors homes or ACTUALLY burned the house down to the ground. Contrary to Julia's theory, I believe the residents feel fortunate the blaze wasn't a lot worse.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Alexis
a resident of Alamo
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:00 am

This was my families home, so maybe you would like our opinion. We are very gratful to all the fire depts that came. We did not lose things like pictures, things can be replaced. My father built this house with his own 2 hands. I remember seeing him squeeze those last few minutes of daylight just to get done. Unfortunately my baby sisters (twins) got it the worse. My dad will rebuild and everything will be okay. Our family and hopefully some others will learn from what has happened. It was an accident and we have all made them. Nothing anyone says to us about how careless it was will be any worse then we have said to ourselves. What makes my heart happy is to see all the good people have in them. My twins friends Dad ran into the burning building trying to save my mom that he knew was home alone. The other neighbors got on a ladder with a hose to try and put it out. When things had calmed countless people came to offer food, water, places to stay.The human spirit is good at heart I just wish bad things were not what always brought it out. We thank our neighbors, friends, and all the firemen.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by BayArea
a resident of Danville
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:37 am

I am so sorry Henley Family- Monica, Joe, Alexis, Aaron, Marissa, Ariel, and Alexandria... our thoughts are with you at this time!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Sharon
a resident of San Ramon Valley High School
on Sep 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Alexis, my best wishes to you and your family in rebuilding your home and your lives. What an incredibly resolute spirit you have! Many thanks for your posting.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Hayward NAACP officials threaten blog posters
By Tim Hunt | 21 comments | 2,220 views

Duck!
By Tom Cushing | 24 comments | 1,140 views

The Giving Season
By Roz Rogoff | 3 comments | 885 views

Thanksgiving Transfer Fever!
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 352 views