Post a New Topic
Original post made
on May 16, 2008
In the former Silicon Valley, from my origins there in 1968, acronyms were the language. Scientist and engineers used acronyms to the point that their articles and presentations were completely lacking meaning withot a glossary. Even worse, acronyms had a sequence of meanings that changed with the rapid evolution and revolution of technologies.
Important to your consideration of TEXTING is the reality that very well educated individuals have allowed acronyms to defeat meaning in formal publication and, now, in their adoption of TEXTING.
Two things changed that reality in the former Silicon Valley, 1) technology evolution/revolution moved to Asia, and 2) the south bay area has become corporate headquarters for financial communication. Acronyms now in the valley are related to balance sheets and operating statements. And like high schools, blackberry's are busy sending acronyms back and forth in social text messages.
I, personally, do not respond to text messages. I call the individual, ask them to explain the answers they need, and then provide them a defined e-mail without acronyms.
My former business associate, Vince Kreigher, has taken a different approach. He has taken acronyms used in texting and applied new words and definition to each. IMHO means he is considering butter or margarine on his toast and not the impossibility of his humble opinion.
Just now received from the former Silicon Valley:
1. OLPC XO laptops add Windows OS
2. EDA tools in search of performance--a trend for DAC 2008
5. High-power LEDs in cars are there for the brand statement
7. HD VUDU: Two days, two titles, two different experiences, a quality-deficient result?
8. CSR hits $6 parts cost for DSP-Bluetooth headset.
Acronyms galore, FYI!
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: *
- San Ramon
- Walnut Creek
- Alamo Elementary School
- Charlotte Wood Middle School
- Del Amigo Continuation High School
- Diablo Vista Middle School
- Green Valley Elementary School
- Greenbrook Elementary School
- John Baldwin Elementary School
- Los Cerros Middle School
- Montair Elementary School
- Monte Vista High School
- Rancho Romero Elementary School
- San Ramon Valley High School
- Stone Valley Middle School
- Sycamore Valley Elementary School
- Tassajara Hills Elementary School
- Venture Independent Study School
- Vista Grande Elementary School
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Cleaning my PC or cleaning my wallet?
By Roz Rogoff | 13 comments | 1,475 views
Swalwell running for Congress again, will pass on Senate campaign
By Tim Hunt | 3 comments | 1,080 views
By Tom Cushing | 6 comments | 879 views
Home & Real Estate
Send News Tips
© 2015 DanvilleSanRamon.com
All rights reserved.