Town Square

Post a New Topic

BART strike continues for third day

Original post made on Jul 3, 2013

The BART strike in continuing for the third day although labor talks resumed Tuesday evening at the request of California Labor Secretary Marty Morgenstern, a spokesman for Gov. Jerry
Brown said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 1:40 PM

Comments (7)

Like this comment
Posted by Julia
a resident of Alamo
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:09 am

Fire the entire bunch and start over...Hey BART Management have some guts and get off your behind and act...Air Traffic controllers are more important then these greedy people at BART. Put the word out "HELP WANTED" The line will be so long in a matter of hours.

Do what President Reagan what leaders are really made of...

Thanks for Listening, Julia Pardini

Like this comment
Posted by Crystal
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Jul 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

Agreed!!! Terminate them all. Then when u rehire--try some "diversity" had hire white ppl who won't hide behind a so is list thug union to protect their lazy asses.

Like this comment
Posted by Crystal
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Jul 3, 2013 at 8:20 am

The word is SOCIALIST

Like this comment
Posted by Huh?
a resident of Danville
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:00 am

Better yet, fly in a bunch of workers from Myanmar and Sri Lanka - those people will work for pennies! Yeah! After all, people who work in the private sector have had their wages and benefits eroded badly over the past 30 years - isn't the logical response to erode the wages and benefits of workers in the public sector to match that? We need to beat down those greedy workers who expect to be able to retire with a pension some day! That's what "leadership" is all about, right? Keeping those uppity blue collar workers in their place.

After all, the top 1% of the wealthy folks in the nation have only seen their wealth and income double while wages stagnate - if we keep up the good work we could get to the point where the top 20% own 95% of the wealth in the country, and everybody else gets to share the remaining 5%!

Oh, wait - we passed that point a couple of years ago. Who wants to shoot for 98%?

Well, at least we can complain about minorities, right? I mean, the net worth of the average black or hispanic family has soared to almost 6% of the net worth of the average white family! Can't let that happen, can we? That would be socialism, right?

Like this comment
Posted by PSMacintosh
a resident of Danville
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Wait until the Valley Bullet Train To Nowhere gets built and those employees go on stike for higher wages.
Oh, yeah. No one will care because no one will be riding the train anyway.

Ah, but the unions will band together and strike the BART and Bus systems as well--that's how have create "leverage".

Just a prediction for the future--say, in 20-30 years.

The price for a train ride to LA will be huge (at least AFTER "they" ban cars from the rode....due to environmental air restrictions).
Why don't you think that that is where we are headed?

Like this comment
Posted by Gary
a resident of San Ramon
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

The comment that these people are highly trained and would be difficult to replace is BS. Most of the jobs are grunt work and those that aren't are controlled by computer. Training new workers would be a minimal task. Fire them. Hire people who want to work.

Like this comment
Posted by Huh?
a resident of Danville
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm

That's right, Gary, grind 'em down! If we fire enough of these guys, we'll eventually have them begging to pay for the chance to work, right? Lord knows, $60,000 a year is a freaking fortune in the Bay Area, and all those folks have to do to earn it is deal with the dignity and respect offered to them by guys like you.

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Huddled Masses 2015
By Tom Cushing | 15 comments | 694 views

One Bad Apple
By Roz Rogoff | 8 comments | 588 views

Hope Hospice celebrates 35 years of quality service to the valley
By Tim Hunt | 2 comments | 256 views