I urge all voters in the area served by the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District (SRV FPD) to read this article from today's San Ramon Valley Times (Mercury News): Web Link
Three of the 5 candidates for the three open seats on the SRV FPD Board have close ties to the union, at a time when the board is negotiating a new contract with the union.
In addition, one existing board member, Jennifer Price, who is not up for election, is the sister-in-law of Fire Chief Richard Price.
Here are the five candidates, along with their union ties:
- Gordon Dakin - cousin of Matt Dakin, who is on the union's executive board
- H. Jay Kerr - no union ties
- Stephen Mohun - brother is Mike Mohun, union president
- Gerardo Peniche - brother-in-law of district firefighter Erick Hubbard
- Matt Stamey - no union ties.
My own opinion is that Kerr and Stamey deserve our support, as they are the only two candidates without conflict of interests as they negotiate with the union on a new contract.
Read the above-linked article to draw your own conclusions. But putting Dakin, Mohun, and (perhaps to a lesser extent) Peniche on the board will basically mean a continuation of very lucrative salary, benefits, and pensions, that the district can't afford. Basically it amounts to asking the fox to guard the henhouse!