Shooting suspect turns himself in after fight at DVC


A man was arrested for allegedly shooting another man at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill on Saturday night after he showed up at a hospital with a broken jaw he suffered in a fight that led to the incident, a Contra Costa Community College District spokesman said today.

The shooting was reported at 8:09 p.m. Saturday during a rugby game taking place at a field on the campus, located at 321 Golf Club Road.

During the game, two spectators got into an altercation and one of the men punched the other, apparently breaking his jaw, district spokesman Tim Leong said.

The man who was punched then allegedly pulled out a gun and shot the other man, Leong said.

The victim was taken to John Muir Medical Center with injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening, he said.

Hours later, the shooting suspect showed up at the hospital to be treated for his injured jaw, according to Leong.

The rugby game was between the Diablo Gaels and San Francisco Golden Gate Rugby Club. The Diablo Gaels are a local club team that rents out the field at the college for its home field, Leong said. He did not know if the shooting suspect or victim were associated with the Gaels or the team from San Francisco.

The shooting suspect's identity was not being released as of this evening, he said.

The Contra Costa Community College District will be working with the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office this week to determine if charges will be filed against one or both of the men involved in the altercation, Leong said.


Like this comment
Posted by Peda; Power
a resident of Danville
on Mar 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm

It used to be said that soccer was a game for gentlemen, played by thugs, and that rugby was a game for thugs, played by gentlemen.

But that just applies to the players, so, maybe we can deduce that these rugby spectators would rather have been playing soccer?

I take no pleasure in anyone getting hurt but, since it appears that the jaw breaker caused the first injury, it is conceivable that he got what was coming to him. It is also conceivable that the shooter was acting in self defense.

Let's be thankful that neither injury was life threatening and hope that there are enough independent witnesses so that justice can be done.

Like this comment
Posted by Armstrong
a resident of another community
on Aug 8, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I was there at the game that day and was wondering if anyone knew the name of the man who was shot or his current condition. I helped until the paramedics arrived and always wondered how he recovered. I hope he is doing well.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

The valley needs strong leadership on BART board
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 1,108 views