News

Danville couple celebrate 'miracle child' with hundreds of like families

Family day at Little Hills expected to draw 1,000 families

After losing both children to an under-the-influence driver in October 2003, Carmen Pack was devastated. The immense pain, trauma and loss she endured was overwhelming, but above all, she wanted to become a mother again.

"After everything that happened to me, I realized how fragile life is and how much I enjoyed being around children," the Danville resident and preschool teacher said.

Jimena Barreto's Mercedes struck Pack's children, Troy and Alana, as they rode their scooter and bicycle along Camino Tassajara near their home. Although the Packs found some solace in Barreto's conviction and incarceration, difficulty convincing another child was upsetting.

"I knew that I had to contact a fertility center. I did a little bit of research and Reproductive Science Center was the name that kept coming to me. I contacted them and I am very thankful that I did," Pack said.

The Packs worked with RSC's Dr. Louis Weckstein, who took a personal interest in working with the couple.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support DanvilleSanRamon.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

"After the devastation they had been through, I wanted to give them hope," Weckstein said. "I told her we wouldn't stop until we had succeeded."

Using eggs donated by her niece, Pamela. Carmen was the hopeful mother-to-be for two twin boys. But the drunk driver trial proved too stressful for her body to endure, and she tragically lost both boys nearing her sixth month of pregnancy.

"I was put on this earth to be a mother, and I had a lot missing after my children were taken from me," Carmen explained. "I knew I couldn't give up until I was a mother again."

In 2006, Carmen's dream came true with the birth of Noelle. Now age six, Carmen and her husband, Bob, treasure every minute with Noelle. On Aug. 19, the Packs will be among nearly 1,000 families celebrating the success of new beginnings and their "miracle children" at Reproductive Science Center's family day in San Ramon.

"Family day is a celebration of life, of couples that have gone through a lot and are finally enjoying their families and their children," Pack said. "Going through fertility treatment is not the easiest thing to do; emotionally it's a roller coaster. One day you have your hopes up, the next day you're praying and you don't know the outcome."

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Families enjoyed a variety of kid-centric activities, lunch and the company of other like-minded couples. RSC doctors and staff were in attendance to celebrate their patients' success, many of who have not met the children they helped conceive.

Pack said she was excited to meet similar families and advocate for those who are struggling to have a child.

"When a woman or a couple contacts a fertility center…it's because they've already exhausted other avenues. They're already feeling all the feelings that I felt -- anxious, nervous, worry," Pack said. " If you have difficulties contact a fertility center and have them help you so your dreams can come true."

Although Noelle knows she has two siblings who died in an accident, Pack said she has not yet explained the entire situation to her daughter. Pack said she will tell her once she is old enough to understand.

"I love my daughter the same exact way I loved Troy and I loved Alana," Pack said, adding that Noelle regularly says she would like siblings. "I'm planning to always tell my daughter the truth…when I do it will be wonderful because she I will tell her she has two, her cousins (Pamela's children) Alexia and Daniella."

Approximately 400 children, newborn to 12 years old, from throughout the Bay Area attended the invitation-only event at Little Hills.

Craving a new voice in Peninsula dining?

Sign up for the Peninsula Foodist newsletter.

Follow DanvilleSanRamon.com on Twitter @DanvilleSanRamo, Facebook and on Instagram @ for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Danville couple celebrate 'miracle child' with hundreds of like families

Family day at Little Hills expected to draw 1,000 families

by /

Uploaded: Wed, Aug 15, 2012, 3:08 pm

Comments

Marie
Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:53 am
Marie, Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:53 am
Like this comment

God is great! He takes care of Troy and Alana in heaven and blessed the Packs with Noelle. Sometimes life seems bad and not worth living, but God has a plan. If you are filling down, just think of the wonderful future you will have if you keep love in your heart and make the right choices.

alyson
Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:59 am
alyson, Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:59 am
Like this comment

Carmen and Bob continue to be such an inspiration for so many. It is truly amazing how they have taken their grief from such a heinous situation and turned it into so many positives which have changed lives. Thank you Pack family, this community is blessed to have the two of you in our midst.

thankful
Diablo
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:43 am
thankful, Diablo
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:43 am
Like this comment

Carmen and Bob, you are such an inspiration to everyone. Thank you for your work to keep drug-influenced drivers off our streets. May you continue to celebrate life with your beautiful daughter Noelle. Troy and Alana will always be remembered!

spcwt
Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:04 am
spcwt, Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:04 am
Like this comment

My wife and I tried numerous fertility treatments, including 6 IVF attempts (at $15,000 a try, not covered by insurance). None of it worked. It took a huge emotional toll on us. We finally gave up and considered adoption. The VERY NEXT MONTH my wife got pregnant by natural means. What a pleasant surprise.

A lot of people hear about celebrities and others getting pregnant in their late 30’s and even at 40+. This can lead to a false sense of security, thinking they can delay having children. The reality is, the chance of getting pregnant drop precipitously after age 34. A 40 yr. old woman has only a 2% chance of getting pregnant using her own eggs.

Mom of 3
Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:39 am
Mom of 3, Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:39 am
Like this comment

In 2005, I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Pack informally at a shop in Danville. She is an amazing woman and her heart is filled with love and forgiveness. To this day, she has been a woman I can honestly say I've admired most in my life. Without knowing me, she opened her heart and shared her devastating story by answering questions I could not fathom answers to. We laughed and cried together. She is an amazing woman of God and I am so pleased that Noelle has come into their life.

Francis
Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:53 am
Francis, Danville
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:53 am
Like this comment

Is the evil driver still in prison---she tried to run to Mexico----or is she out getting our taxpayers' free money like so many others?

Julia
Alamo
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:27 am
Julia, Alamo
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:27 am
1 person likes this

Dear Marie...what a comment. "God is great! WOW, heaven forbid if he/she wasn't so great.

I really can not believe how some of you think...God's plan is so wonderful...I am assuming you believe GOD has some GOOD plans...if so I sure haven't seen them, have you?

Julia Pardini, from Alamo

alyson
Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:23 am
alyson, Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:23 am

Wow .... there you go again Julia
always spinning a negative on everything! You never cease to amaze me.

Julia
Alamo
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:12 am
Julia, Alamo
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:12 am
Like this comment

Thank you Alyson...I sincerely appreciate your input.

By the way Alyson, maybe you can answer this...
Why is Noelle a Miracle Child?

Just a simple down to earth response will be appreciated.

My personal feelings are that every child born is a MIRACLE CHILD.
but I am sure you have a more Godly comment

Thanks Julia Pardini...from Alamo

Marie
Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm
Marie, Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Julia:

I guess I need to explain to you where my mindset was when I wrote my comment…

I am a Danville mother who believes that we have lost way too many children lately; from being killed in service (Chachi) or murdered on his doorsteps (Rylan) or suicides (Allison who jumped off the GG bridge or the 2 more recent deaths) or the Pack children who were innocently walking with family and friends on our streets.

After reading this story, I thought, finally…a heart-warming story. But, I will never forget those that we have lost prematurely, even if I didn’t know them personally. I do believe that every child is a miracle sent by God, a perfect gift that we need to treasure and take care of until God takes them to heaven.

My comment was meant to sooth those left behind and remind everyone that they have a purpose in life. Never give up! I couldn’t imagine what the Packs have gone through these past years, but they are an inspiration to us all. Life can get hard, but it’s just one tiny piece of your life and it will get better. This story is a perfect example.

American
Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm
American, Danville
on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Like this comment

Well said Marie. I agree with you 100%. God bless you.

alyson
Danville
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:12 am
alyson, Danville
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:12 am
Like this comment

Thank you Marie ... perfectly said!

Catherine
Danville
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm
Catherine, Danville
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Well put, Marie!

I also think Julia completely misses the point. All children are miracles, but some of us are granted our miracles a lot more easily than others, and some never experience this miracle at all. The Packs were devastated with their loss and are still affected by their family tragedy, but Noelle has brought wonderful joy back into their lives and we should all be thankful for that!

sponge_bob_roundpants
Danville
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm
sponge_bob_roundpants, Danville
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Like this comment

Julia, you sure are a cynical one, aren't you?
God (or whoever it is, I'm simply not as egotistical as you as to think I'm the center of the universe), may or may not have a plan. Does it really matter? Fact is, you have a choice (maybe somebody gave you the choice?) to either enjoy your little time here or not. Apparently you have chosen the latter, a life of misery and questioning, and pessimism.
Your choice. I choose to enjoy life; whether that's a better approach, who cares? It's my choice, but your choice to wallow in your misery. I have a tendency to deflect people like you, it's karma; and I prefer my life in Bikini Bottom where everything is what you make it.
Good luck to you, hope things get better before they get worse; and stay away from the prescription meds.
Sincerely, Sponge Bob

Violet
Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:03 am
Violet, Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:03 am
Like this comment

Wow. Here we have a fabulous story of loss, personal strength, faith and then happy ending.
And then you folks have to get ugly with each other.
Julia i disagree with Sponge Bob that life needs to be lived from a + pt. of view no matter what. But he might have been mistaken for telling you to stay away from prescription meds cause maybe you need anti depressants. Hate to think of whats going on for you to be so sour.
God bless you all.
Let's all be kind and caring instead of cold and cruel.
xoxo

Violet
Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:04 am
Violet, Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:04 am
Like this comment

And then you folks have to get ugly with each other.
God bless you all.
Let's all be kind and caring instead of cold and cruel.
xoxo

violet
Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:15 am
violet, Diablo
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:15 am
Like this comment

The above read wrong twice darn it from double click! Oops!

Is should have said:
Julia i AGREE with Sponge Bob's life pt. of view not DISAGREE!

Anywho lets all BE KIND, be grateful and pray for this world.
It needs it.