The deteriorating Danville Hotel Wild West buildings could be coming down in the coming weeks, with developers' demolition work set to begin in January, according to town officials.
The exact start date is unknown, and the project proponents have not yet received a demolition permit, town public information coordinator Geoff Gillette said Friday.
Representatives from Castle Companies -- the project's developers and co-owners of the property -- did not return requests for comment.
Last fall, Town Manager Joe Calabrigo said Castle planned to complete the demolition in October, but the work did not occur. Reasons for the delay remain unclear.
But town officials announced last week that they anticipate the project moving forward some time in January.
Castle expects to place new fencing around the project perimeter -- along Hartz, Railroad and Prospect avenues -- during December in anticipation of asbestos-abatement work at the site, according to a recent article on the town-operated Danville Today newsletter.
Once obtaining a demolition permit, the developers would have a six-month window during which to tear down the buildings, though the town could issue extensions as appropriate, Gillette said.
The rundown structures set for removal date back to the 1950s. The developers propose to replace nearly 14,400 square feet of existing retail, office and restaurant space with more than 34,500 square feet of new restaurant locations, storefront spots and 16 residential units.