News

Man accused of hitting strangers on Iron Horse Trail

Incidents occur in Danville, Alamo Wednesday afternoon; man taken into custody

A man arbitrarily assaulted and got in the way of up to five people trying to travel on the Iron Horse Regional Trail in the San Ramon Valley on Wednesday, according to park district officials.

The man was arrested at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday near Ridgewood Road in Alamo after several people reported that he was harassing them on trail, according to the East Bay Regional Park District.

The situation was first reported at 1:50 p.m., when several reports came in that a man riding a bicycle was randomly hitting and blocking people around Danville and Alamo, park district officials said.

Park district officials said there were at least three confirmed victims and potentially two more, including a possible juvenile.

Contra Costa County Sheriff's deputies initially arrested the man before the park district's police force took him into its custody. The man, whose identity was not provided, was booked into the Martinez Detention Facility.

Anyone with more information about this case has been asked to call the East Bay Regional Park District Police Department at (510) 881-1833.

— Bay City News Service

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

11 people like this
Posted by Charles
on Mar 25, 2016 at 9:34 am

If this state of California had an open carry permit; this would never occur. With the present state of this world's security, I would hope that we as a nation demand our right's to protect ourselves. Yes; I am a member of the NRA and my residence is well protected.

26 people like this
Posted by Dan
on Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 am

Let's see if I get it right Charles - Sounds like you propose killing someone who is obviously mentally ill or under the influence. Really stupid.
BTW I am a gun owner and have hunted since I was twelve years old. Just want everyone to know that no gun owners that I'm aware of would even remotely concur with Charles.

5 people like this
Posted by OldHenry
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Gee! Charles, you scare me. I did not know that I shared the Danville Bubble with the like of you.
OldHenry

5 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Mar 26, 2016 at 9:53 am

I lived in and went to high school in Oakland. Sucker punch was an expected phenomenon there. You always need to walk fast and make sure you beware people behind you. It is sad to see that this type of incident is happening in Alamo.

7 people like this
Posted by Karin
on Mar 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm

It sounds like the person has mental issues. On Iron Horse, it's probably not a bad idea to carry pepper spray, as some of the areas are remote. Also, if someone passes you going the opposite direction, turn and look behind you after they pass, to make sure they keep going and aren't turning back to attack you. Look behind yourself often during your entire walk.

2 people like this
Posted by Joe
on Mar 28, 2016 at 6:53 am

I refuse to live in fear.

4 people like this
Posted by Johnny
on Mar 28, 2016 at 7:47 am

Charles posted his comment then ran to his bunker to escape the black helicopters coming to take away all his guns.

7 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:54 am

Why was the identity of the arrested man not provided?

2 people like this
Posted by conor mcgregor
on Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 am

I don't need pepper spray or guns. If this piker blocks my way I no worry because I have hand grenades attached to the end of each of my arms. Blimey!

Like this comment
Posted by Derek
on Mar 30, 2016 at 11:41 am

I'm not sure which is scarier - that some oddball is hassling people on the Iron Horse right when many schools let out, or that eleven other maroons "liked" the post by Charles.

Just to educate us all Charles, what precisely would your plan be? Would you pull a gun on the trail troll on the assumption you are tough enough and fast enough to keep him from smacking you while you're digging in your poopy pants to get your glock out? And if you were successful in pulling off a Clint Eastwood, would you then shoot the guy and hope the bullet wouldn't pass through him (or miss him altogether, which is vastly more probable), hitting some unrelated person? Please, let us know your plan, and use all your words if need be. Don't keep us in suspense.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Premarital and Couples: Tips for Hearing (Listening) and Being Known