News

Danville council to talk school traffic, local recycling

Town Council also to proclaim this as National Volunteer Recognition Month

Efforts to reduce traffic congestion around Danville schools and updates on recycling and garbage pick-up services in town are among the lead talking points set for Tuesday night's Town Council meeting.

The council will receive a trio of informational reports, including discussions of TRAFFIX and RecycleSmart.

TRAFFIX is a joint venture among the town, city of San Ramon, Contra Costa County and the school district aimed at addressing congestion caused by school-related traffic in the area's busiest intersections.

Mayor Karen Stepper and Councilman Newell Arnerich, who represent the town on the TRAFFIX board, will present a report on recent agency activities to their fellow council members.

Stepper and Arnerich will also update the council and residents on recent efforts of RecycleSmart -- the common name for the Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority, to which the town belongs for solid waste and recycling services.

In other informational reports, Vice Mayor Renee Morgan will provide an update on the town's Parks and Leisure Services Commission.

The council members are also set to approve a proclamation declaring April as National Volunteer Recognition Month. Town recreation program supervisor Jessica Wallner and volunteer program specialist Julie Mason will receive the proclamation.

The council meeting is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Town Meeting Hall, 201 Front St. in downtown Danville.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

5 people like this
Posted by Stuck in traffic
a resident of Danville
on Apr 5, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Hey, Town Council members. Here's a suggestion on how to reduce traffic around schools: nix the SummerHill Homes Magee Ranches project for 69 homes that you approved, but now has to have additional review due to court order. The Green Valley School/Los Cerros Middle School/Monte Vista High School area has the worst traffic in the SRV School district, so was awarded TRAFFIX buses to held ease the traffic disaster. Then you Council members approve traffic-clogging discretionary development to waste our TRAFFIX tax money! Stop favoring special interests over the public!


5 people like this
Posted by More Busses Please
a resident of Danville
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I'm praying my kid can take the bus to Monte Vista in the fall, however there is a bus lottery. Can you add another bus if there are that many of us who want to avoid driving in and adding to the traffic congestion? I don't understand why the supply of busses can't meet the demand as that would be a win-win for all.


1 person likes this
Posted by Stuck in Traffic
a resident of Danville
on Apr 5, 2016 at 9:28 pm

@more busses please: There is apparently insufficient tax money for extra busses. The fee we parents pay is a mere 10% of what it costs per student riding a bus. Measure J funds currently pay the other 90% and there is only so much money to go around.

Meantime, traffic will get much worse if there are 1000 more cartrips per day from the SummerHill Homes proposed 69+ home development just east of the Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. stop sign.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Premarital and Couples: Tips for Hearing (Listening) and Being Known
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,295 views

Alameda County Grand Jury calls out supervisors
By pleasantonweekly.com | 7 comments | 987 views