News

Danville's plastic bag ban takes effect Friday

Businesses won't be allowed to give out single-use carryout plastic bags

The town of Danville's new local law prohibiting retailers and restaurants from handing out single-use carryout plastic bags to customers will take effect on Friday, more than 18 months after the Town Council approved the ordinance instituting the ban.

The council, primarily citing concerns about littering and water pollution caused by discarded plastic bags, endorsed the local ban in December 2014, but gave businesses and patrons until this week to prepare for the new rules.

"Each year, Californians use millions of single-use plastic bags, which end up in landfills, streams, rivers and San Francisco Bay," Nat Rojanasathira, assistant to the town manager, said in a statement Wednesday. "This ordinance will reduce the number of bags polluting our creeks."

The town ordinance applies to all retail establishments -- defined as businesses that sell goods such as clothing, food and personal items -- as well as all public eating establishments, including restaurants, take-out eateries and other businesses that receive 90% or more of its revenue from the sale of prepared food.

Grocery stores and restaurants could still distribute small plastic bags for produce and meats, or for wet items or soups at restaurants, according to town officials.

Businesses that violate the bag ban could face fines of $100 for a first infraction, $250 for a second infraction and $500 for each subsequent violation.

The Danville ordinance does not require businesses to charge customers for paper bags, but it requires businesses to offer only paper bags made from at least 40% recycled paper.

Town officials noted that Danville's new rules are not affected by the results of the upcoming California plastic bag ban referendum, a measure on the statewide ballot in November that seeks to uphold the statewide ban approved by Gov. Jerry Brown in 2014.

For more information on the Danville bag ban, visit the town website.

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

42 people like this
Posted by John Doe
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:36 am

I just bought 10,000 plastic bags on Amazon. I urge everyone else in Danville to do the same. When you are finished using them, please recycle them by leaving all plastic bags on the doorstep of the Danville Chamber of Commerce.

22 people like this
Posted by Joe
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:12 am

I just got 3 re-usable grocery bags for free and keep them in my car. I urge all adults to do the same.

29 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:48 am

Liberal assault on common sense while taking away a very practical product. I will use my last plastic bag to pick up after my 2 Labs and deposit it on the desk of Nat Rajanasathira to show him how practical plastic bags really are.
Ridiculous government overreach.

25 people like this
Posted by John Doe
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:16 am

Another liberal fantasy and feel good moment for them. Too bad 95% of people are pissed about this. How do you really expect carry $150 worth of groceries to your car and then again into your house?

[Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

23 people like this
Posted by Greg T
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:42 am

What I find interesting is that the penalty for plastic bags is probably, more severe than criminals get for real crimes. This reeks so much of the liberal agenda to punish the good people, and under the guise of social justice ( a new liberal buzzword), let everyone else go. BTW I have never ever thrown a plastic bag into the environment.

9 people like this
Posted by Andy Rooney's Ghost
on Jun 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

Did'ja ever notice that conservatives aren't very good at conserving? That the drought and global warming are just liberal media inventions? That it's not a good idea to clean up after your dog and protect the environment with biodegradable products - and to threaten public officials for doing their job? Didn't think so.

9 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Jun 30, 2016 at 9:51 am

I love how conservatives freak out over the littlest of things. My gosh we now have to use paper bags at the grocery store instead of plastic. Erosion of our freedoms, government over reach. What crap! Bunch of cry babies with way too much time on their hands .

I don't think our founding fathers really care whether we use paper or plastic nor envisioned it when they wrote the constitution. If the conservatives think this is a real issue, then be real Americans and make it a campaign issue and use it to elect pro plastic bag people to our town government so they can over turn the ban. I am sure it is an issue most Danville people are really passionate about.

stop whining about useless issues. If you want to do something here about the ban then publish your addresses so we can have our dogs crap on your lawn now that we don't have plastic bags anymore. That what a real conservative would do. Get free fertilizer.

5 people like this
Posted by Peter Kluget
on Jun 30, 2016 at 9:52 am

[Portion removed] Apparently "liberal" has become a synonym for that hated attitude which used to be referred to as "not childish."

7 people like this
Posted by Julie K
on Jun 30, 2016 at 10:11 am

I have a trash can full of plastic bags if someone loves them that much and wants some, but I really don't get how bringing your own plastic bags is better than bringing your own reuseable ones -- baffling!
Oh, and I'm fairly conservative so I would appreciate it if you stopped insulting all conservatives based on a handful of whiners.

4 people like this
Posted by Greg T
on Jun 30, 2016 at 11:11 am

Wow who would've thought that people would get so passionate over plastic bags.... On both sides ofthe political Spectrum
.... I just have to ask our liberal friends if it would be okay if transgenders use plastic? Isn't that the latest hot new topic and special protection group?

20 people like this
Posted by Greg T
on Jun 30, 2016 at 11:44 am

I'm sorry, I have to cooment again after reading some of the above reviews that criticize the conservativeness of this area and state something about entitlement of this area. LET me state that the people in this area work hard as hell and pay plenty of taxes. It's no coincidence that this area is clean, well kept and safe due to the nature of its citizens. I find it so hypocritical that the more liberal that have moved here from their liberal bastions on the other side of the hills, who say they moved here because they like the fact that it was clean & safe and has good schools for their families.... But then they seem to go to work like termites to undermine the area by pushing their liberal agendas here, trying to turn it into the area they escaped from. Hmm.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Living as Roommates? Not Having Much Sex?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 3,042 views

Could new quarry operations threaten PG&E gas pipeline on Isabel Avenue?