January storm bashes Danville area | January 11, 2008 | Danville Express | DanvilleSanRamon.com |


Danville Express

Newsfront - January 11, 2008

January storm bashes Danville area

Emergency crews cope with power outages and fallen branches

PG&E reported last Friday that 7,600 customers in its Diablo Division were without power, with 174 separate outages, due to the rainstorm that hit the Bay Area that day.

The outages were mainly caused by branches falling onto power lines and customers were out of power for several hours. The Diablo Division includes parts of Alamo, Danville, Walnut Creek and Concord, said PG&E spokesman David Eisenhauer.

"Our maintenance crews were out last night helping at a bad accident on the freeway," said Police Chief Chris Wenzel on Friday. "And the power lines (were) falling in Alamo."

Wenzel said emergency crews were on alert as the Danville area was pelted by storms, which started on Friday and continued over into the weekend, with high winds.

He said crews are managed carefully in storms such as these, sending some help in nearby emergency situations but keeping them available for situations close to home.

Danville had minor flooding at Cameo Acres off Green Valley Road, and drains and gutters clogging on Camino Ramon, near Costco. A tree limb fell at Hap Magee Ranch Park as a result of the storm, and water backed up on Front Street in downtown Danville. The signals lights were also down on Camino Tassajara.

There were about three inches of rain on Friday, said Greg Gilbert, town emergency services manager. However, the storm only caused minor damages, and there no evacuations.

"There was nothing huge," said Gilbert. "Everybody was proactive."

Mt. Diablo State Park closed its gates Friday afternoon. The rain caused mudslides in the park, and trees fell on Summit and Southgate roads. In addition, large rocks tumbled down on Southgate and off Northgate roads. Winds were gusting at 110 miles per hour, said Dan Stefanisko, supervising ranger.

Maintenance crews and rangers cleaned up the debris following the storm. The park reopened Sunday midmorning.

"Public safety was our main concern," Stefanisko said.