Garbage can fire damages high school | February 1, 2008 | Danville Express | |

Danville Express

Community Pulse - February 1, 2008

Garbage can fire damages high school

Flames that began inside a garbage can spread to burn a wooden roof and a structure at San Ramon Valley High School in Danville last week, said police Sgt. Dan Hoffman.

Police received the call at 11:35 p.m., Monday, Jan. 21. When officers arrived at the scene, firefighters from the San Ramon Valley Unified Fire Protection District had already quelled the fire.

The fire damaged parts of the F wing structure on campus, according to reports.

School Resource Officer Jeffrey Phelps conducted a further investigation and contacted a school teacher who had smelled burning plastic prior to when the fire spread. The teacher didn't see a fire or anyone else at the time, which was from 1-2 p.m. on that day. He found out about the fire the following day.

Phelps also viewed a surveillance video and saw nothing suspicious, said Hoffman.

The police reclassified the incident from arson to a suspicious circumstance. But they are still waiting for the fire department's final analysis regarding the cause of the small blaze.

"I don't know what their finding is at this point," said Hoffman on Tuesday.

--Jordan M. Doronila


There are no comments yet for this post