The coolest sport you've never tried

Original post made on Feb 18, 2011

You may not know what it's called, but if you've watched a Nike commercial in the last few years, you've probably seen it: people and even robots running, jumping, somersaulting and doing Jackie Chan-like leaps and climbs up the sides of buildings. It's called "parkour," and in its simplest terms, it means getting from point A to point B as fast as possible, using only one's body.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 17, 2011, 4:18 PM

Like this comment
Posted by Julia
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:15 am

Great job danville Express...27 paragraphs devoted to nothing.

Julia from Alamo

Like this comment
Posted by psmacintosh
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Nice article. I found it very interesting!!! And local happening as well! Would have liked some links to videos, though.

Like this comment
Posted by oh!riley
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Julia, I actually found this article interesting and compelling. Maybe it's not your thing, but the Express is not written solely for you. I've noticed over time that your comments seem to be mostly negative. Open your mind, you might learn something new and surprise yourself.

Like this comment
Posted by Pedal Power
on Feb 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I agree with psmacintosh - kudos to Glenn Wohltmann for a well researched and written article. I had seen clips here and there, including the Nike advertisement, but had no idea it was called "parkour" and had no idea this was going on locally.
While appreciating the fitness level needed, and the skill that goes into it, I am amazed that there are not more injuries associated with the sport since it looks very unforgiving of mistakes...so I couldn't repress a smile when I noticed the San Ramon Medical Center's advertisement for a Sports Injury seminar at the top.
In these days of Google, youtube and hit counters it almost seems redundant to post links but, for those who like single click convenience, this youtube link "Parkour and FreeRunning" with over TWENTY-THREE MILLION hits is probably a good starting point: Web Link ( www DOT youtube DOT com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c&feature=related )

Like this comment
Posted by Aunt
on Feb 20, 2011 at 10:45 am

Its extremely dangerous. That part of the story is missing. My 14 yr old nephew and his friends were really into this game. Last year my nephew missed his mark landed on his head. He spent 2 weeks in the ICU with a skull fracture. He is now permanently deaf in he left ear.

Like this comment
Posted by Tina
a resident of Blackhawk
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Check out the San Ramon Parkour site - Web Link.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Please give us a hand while we flout federal law