Cal High evacuated due to bomb threat

Original post made on Sep 8, 2014

California High School students and staff were evacuated to the football field late Monday morning after an anonymous caller reported rumors of a bomb on the San Ramon campus, a school district spokesman said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 8, 2014, 1:36 PM

Posted by Former student
on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

They Had two BART k9's search the commons

Posted by Resident
on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Spoken with several parents and none of them received a text message from the district.

Posted by Michelle T
on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I am a Cal High parent and I did not receive a text from the school, I received one from my son and my daughter, both students of Cal High, to let me know they were evacuated to the football field because of the bomb threat. I did not even receive an email.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 8, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I am a parent of a Cal High student and I did not receive a text or any communication regarding this.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Both my husband and I received a few updates. Great job SRVUSD!

Posted by Michelle
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

My son was at Cal High today, and when I received a text informing me about the bomb threat, the students had already been evacuated for about an hour. I went to the school to pick him up because during the last evacuation for a gas leak the kids were out on the field in the heat for hours. A police officer directed me to speak with the school principal, who refused to release my son. I should have called the authorities. I am disappointed with the way the administrators handled the parents who were nervously gathered around the school today. I walked past one mother who was sobbing in her car.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

My son is a student at Cal High and was evacuated to the athletic field for hours in the mid-day sun today due to a bomb threat. While I understand the seriousness of the situation, some sort of shade or shelter should be available for sun sensitive students. My son returned home from school with a blazing sunburn on his extremely fair face, neck, and arms. It may quite possibly blister. I am disappointed in the lack of planning for sun sensitive students as this is not the first time an evacuation of this type has been made.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:05 pm

You may have to sign up for the text message communication because I received two updates from cal through text messages. I also spoke to my child who kept me updated with his safety.

Posted by Danville Mom
a resident of Monte Vista High School
on Sep 9, 2014 at 9:48 am

I did not receive a text nor did I expect one since my son attends Monte Vista but I did receive an email from the SRVUSD.

Perhaps those of you who didn't receive a message, have you gone into the "Portal" and updated the information? Even though the info might not have changed, I'm wondering that if you don't update it each year, it won't provide such important email info.

Just a thought. So glad that all was OK.

Posted by Carolyn
a resident of Blackhawk
on Sep 9, 2014 at 9:50 am

First, it sounds like a student wanted to get out of a test or some other nonsense like that and I hope the authorities nail the kid to the wall. Second, I am appalled that Cal High would not release students to their parents in this type of situation especially with the week we are in. Shame on you Cal High! And finally, there is NO excuse for parents not to have been notified, even if the computerized home phone system needed to be employed.

Posted by Annilyse
on Sep 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

I cannot imagine what it takes to move and direct that many teenagers. Add to that, parents demanding preferential treatment during an emergency situation. Did any of the parents who have complaints offer to HELP during the situation?