Year round school calendar?

Original post made by Stacey, Charlotte Wood Middle School, on Oct 29, 2014

Hello.
We are new to the area and came from a school district with a year-round school calendar.
I see Pleasanton Unified is switching to a modified year-round calendar this coming summer.
Have there been any discussions regarding SRVUSD going this direction as well? I am not advocating either way, just wondering if there are discussions or heading that direction. Thanks.

Posted by Derek
on Oct 30, 2014 at 9:18 am

We're CW parents too, and I haven't heard anything year-round. Then again I am not pals with anybody at the district, so who knows?
Personally, considering how blazing hot it gets here in the Summer, I am very much against year-round. In fact, I am against what I call "Fall creep". That is, the school (and especially college) start dates getting pushed further and further back into August. I would like to see a few less teacher & child goof-off days during the school year, another week of school in June, and then let the kids stay home until after Labor day as it used to be in the good ol' days.
From an energy or economic standpoint, it makes little sense to be running so much air conditioning in the early part of the school year. It is almost never as hot the third week of June as it is at the end of August.

Posted by Catherine
on Nov 1, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Any parents that are for year-round schooling should not have become parents or should look into boarding school. I am so sick of people having kids to keep up with the Jones' just to pawn them off on someone else. Kids need time off from the huge workload they have during the school year and enjoy some fun family time over the summer.

Posted by Marie
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:16 am

Welcome to the area Stacey. I have not heard anything about year-round school in this area. It would be nice to have someone from the district chime in on your question. In my opinion, I do not think a year-round school would be favored in this area. Lifestyles here are very different.

Posted by Alamo Resident
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:35 am

I am familiar with year-round school schedules and think it is a good schedule. Instead of your children having a huge break during the summer, they have several smaller breaks which allows families to plan family vacations on a less hectic schedule. Also, the children are able to retain the information they learned during the previous session, without all the remedial learning that needs to get covered at the beginning of every school year.

Posted by Diane
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:27 am

Hello Stacey and welcome to Danville! I also have not heard of any discussions underway and my kids are now grown, but before moving to Danville we lived in a district with a year round academic schedule. Unlike what seems to be the impression for some misinformed contributors, year round school does not shorten the overall number of days children attend school (and was not designed to accommodate lazy parents), it just allows for shorter, more numerous breaks. With the year round schedule we did find that the kids seemed to retain their knowledge better from one grade to the next, however they flourished in both districts. They just had a bit of catching up to do with the current system.

I hope this helps!

Posted by Danville Resident
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:54 am

We've been in the district for over 20 years, put 5 of our children through the SRVUSD, and then through college. The current system, as flawed as it is, is still one of the best. Families get out what they put into the their children's education.
There was talk when we first arrived in the area, of the year round system, using the argument of many mini breaks verses the "big break" as an incentive. Knowing families in year round districts, it's simply about economics/overcrowding/facility utilization. Most don't like it.
This district has a great track record of College Bound Students, so the current system does work, and very well. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Posted by Julie
on Nov 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I have heard rumors lately that SRVUSD is considering switching to year round. I don't know if the rumors are true however.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Charlotte Wood Middle School
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Thanks all..... I wasn't advocating for it or moving towards change. Sorry if it stirred up emotions. We are new and just finding our way here.... We have some family in Pleasanton (the only people we really know well) who we will be on a different schedule with and I am just trying to learn more about Danville. Again, not looking for change, literally just trying to find our way... That's all.
Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by Julia
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Are the children so dumb today that they need year round school .. it is just more money for teachers and unions. In fact why not shorten the school year .. huh, huh?

Julia Pardini from Alamo

Posted by Diane
on Nov 7, 2014 at 7:12 am

@Stacey, this forum is a good way to get responses to things you are curious about and I would encourage you to consider it a resource. It helps if you can weed out the folks with an obvious nasty disposition and an ax to grind, and they are pretty easy to spot.

I was really happy with Charlotte Wood and SRVHS (my other two went to Los Cerros and MVHS, nothing wrong with them but overall I liked CW and SRVHS better). Good luck!

Posted by Sarah
on Nov 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Stacey,
Welcome to the area and never apologize for asking a reasonable question. You just have to ignore the low-information pot stirrers who are frequent posters here. There are a few in every town and they do provide entertainment. I have not heard any serious discussion about a move to a year-round calendar in this district. If such a thing ever does happen, they are likely to seek parent input first, so you will know about it.

Enjoy this wonderful weather we're having.

Sarah

Posted by Diana
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Alamo Resident said it best. Unless your family has been a part of year round schooling then don't knock it. It really works.

Posted by Danville Parent
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Julia - looks like they took the duct tape off of you...unfortunate for the rest of us that we are now subject to your infantile blabber.

Stacey - welcome to the area. I'm not an expert on the topic, but it has come up several times in conversation with other parents who have experience and it sounds like there are some merits. I think it is at least worthy of consideration and discussion.
Please don't let this thread tarnish your early impressions of the area. These pages are most often dominated by the over-opinionated, the uninformed, and those who live in glass houses and are unable to entertain a thought they didn't originate.