Residents give surprise gift to Danville Costco greeter battling cancer

Original post made on Mar 11, 2015

Arlie Smith's is the first face many customers see when they enter Costco in Danville and his voice the last many will hear as they leave what is one of the most highly visited stores in the San Ramon Valley.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 11:46 PM

Posted by Barb
on Mar 11, 2015 at 6:40 am

The television reported that it was the San Ramon Costco.. Don't they even ask the people standing there...where are we?

Posted by Margaret H.
on Mar 11, 2015 at 6:51 am

I love the generousity of our community! So sorry to hear about Arlie. Prayers and well wishes to him and his family. We have had several smiley faces drawn on our receipts by him!

Posted by ddc
on Mar 11, 2015 at 7:51 am

Arlie continues to brighten the days io those he comes into contact with! Thank YOU, Arlie!

Posted by Lyn
on Mar 11, 2015 at 9:21 am

I see Arlie all the time at Costco. He has a great sense of humor and always brightens my day. Costco can get pretty crowded and I have wondered in the past how he can be so friendly and always smiling.I would have thought he had no worries at all. He is certainly an inspiration to all of us in this ccommunity. May God bless him and his family.
Also, thank you to Bridgette for organizing this. How awesome!

Posted by Louise
on Mar 11, 2015 at 9:45 am

Anyone who goes to Costco has seen Arlie. I have always enjoyed his smile and upbeat personality. I knew he had health issues and now he has a major one. If he keeps on smiling it will help take him through this journey that we all will have to take sometime. He will show us the way. Thank you Arlie.

Posted by Pat
on Mar 11, 2015 at 10:11 am

If there is a place to donate to this remarkable man, could someone get the info out there? He has touched all of us over the years! He always has a smile on his face, and a kind word for all. Truly an inspiration!

Posted by FanDanville
on Mar 11, 2015 at 10:21 am

I have gone to Costco Danville for years.
I have always thought very highly of Arlie for his friendly smile, hard-working presence, and courageous endurance and resolution against MS.
I had no idea about the recent cancer. I am so sorry to hear that! But wish him the best!

Posted by Joane
on Mar 11, 2015 at 10:49 am

I echo Pat's comments above. There are many of us who would like to donate as Arlie has given so many of us a nicer day after our visit and his greetings.

Posted by bz
a resident of Blackhawk
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:27 am

What an INSPIRATIONAL story! I am inspired by Arlie..his love, winsome personality and courage! I am inspired by the lovely people who not only took the time to find out what is going on in the life of someone they merely see when shopping, but who ACTED on the information they were given. This is what life is all about! THANK YOU for the reminder and the inspiration!

Posted by Kristen Trisko
on Mar 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm

When Arlie was a checker I would try to wait in his line because he was always so cheerful and positive. He also was wonderful with my kids. I have moved to Santa Rosa and miss seeing him when I enter Costco. I remember the day he told me he has MS. I raise service dogs and one of my dogs went to a wonderful woman with MS so I am a bit familiar with the desease. So sorry to hear about his cancer diagnosis!! Enjoy your mini vacation.

Posted by Dorothy Foster
on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:32 pm

I had no idea how seriously ill Arlie is. I always look for him when I shop at Costco because he exudes kindness and a spirit of enjoying the moment. His personality is magnetic. He has been very energetic in the past and now I understand why he is doing less strenuous duties. God bless you, Arlie. You are a role model to all of us.

Posted by afriend
on Mar 11, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Here is info on how you can donate to Arlie's favorite charity which is his goal. See bottom of the article. Web Link

Posted by Bridgette
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Thank you Jeremy for a GREAT STORY! Those who'd like to help Arlie contribute to the Costco Children's Hospital Fundraiser are asked to postdate a check to May 1, write it out to Costco and then in the notes/memo section write your Costco ID number along with "CMN" (Children's Miracle Network). If you are not a Costco member, just write CMN in the memo. Those checks will be given to Arlie to turn in on May 1, and he will get the credit. If you include a self-addressed stamped envelope, Arlie will mail you a receipt. Or you can go to the membership desk at Costco and they can print you a receipt after the check is cashed when you give them your membership number. Those who would like to help are asked to send the checks before May 1.

Checks can be mailed to:
Bridgette Loughnane, Arlie's Angels
P.O. Box 1503, Danville, CA 94526

Posted by Laurie
on Mar 12, 2015 at 7:27 am

Arlie, My husband and I wish you the best. Laurie and Peter Ehrlich 84ikS

Posted by Julia
on Mar 13, 2015 at 9:54 am

All my best wishes for Arlie and to his wife and family.

And to Barb the first person to comment...Barb you really show the ego that some Danville folks have. Get a life Barb...Who really cares if the Costco is in Danville or San Ramon...

I see Arlie at least twice a week. GOOD LUCK ARLIE.

Julia Pardini from Alamo

Posted by Jeff
on Mar 15, 2015 at 11:53 am

My wife and I live in Laguna Beach and if needed, would be willing to contact local businesses to help make their stay all the more memorable.

Bridgette, please contact us at [email protected] to discuss further.
Thank you.