San Ramon Valley set for Measure A election

Original post made on May 5, 2015

San Ramon Valley voters have until Tuesday (May 5) to cast their ballots in the mail-only special election on whether to extend the annual $144 local education parcel tax for nine more years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, May 4, 2015, 10:26 PM

Posted by IMCurious
on May 5, 2015 at 7:02 am

No, thank you. I will not support this.

Posted by Douglas
a resident of Blackhawk
on May 5, 2015 at 7:51 am

An additional 3 NO votes from my household!

Posted by BB
on May 5, 2015 at 8:30 am

All NO votes from our household.SRVUSD budget has increased by 100M in the last 15 years. Enough is enough!

Posted by Patty Hoyt
on May 5, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I'm happy to comment using my real name, because I stand by what I'm about to say. The SRVUSD has been an excellent steward of our tax dollars. There is citizen's oversight, thoughtful consideration of programs to fund and consistent decisions to put our students first. I am proud to vote YES on Measure A, as I did for every previous funding measure our school board has put forward. My children are graduates of the district so these funds will no longer help them, but I know what well funded schools mean to our community. I'm not selfish, I want all students to have the same education advantages mine did. I know that many of you who read these comments will have a field day at my expense, but at some point I feel the supporters need to chime in too.

Posted by overtaxed
on May 5, 2015 at 4:27 pm

A "no" vote from our household.

Posted by Danville Dad
on May 5, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Patty, with all due respect here is a little something for you....and everyone else.
An email I received recently from the Principal Ms. Steele at SRVHS:

Dear Parents,

I wanted to keep you updated regarding your son or daughters Spanish 2 class.

As you are probably aware, Mrs Rea will be out on maternity leave until the end of the school year. We currently have a substitute in place and he will be working with the students until June. His name is Larry DiPaola.

We were not able to find a substitute with a Spanish credential, so we are continuing to post the position in case we are able to find someone who does. In the meantime, Mr DiPaola is doing a great job keeping the students on track with the work that Mrs Rea left for them. If you have any questions about how things are going then you are welcome to contact me: [email protected]

In order to ensure that we do everything possible to support the students in these classes, the World Language department staff have found additional time to work with the students in Mrs Rea’s classes. We will be offering student support at lunchtime, and after school which is specifically for your student.

Tuesday – After School 3:30pm Mrs Dominguez, K4

Wednesday – Lunch time 12:35-1:15 Mrs Speckles, K3

Thursday – After School 3:15-4:00pm, Mrs Speckles, K3

Friday – Lunch time 12:35-1:15 Mrs Speckles, K3

There are also staff members who will checking in regularly during class time to see if the students need any additional support in the classroom.

I know that your concerns as parents include both the student’s current learning and their preparation for next year. I want to assure you that we will continue doing everything we can to provide a positive and productive learning experience for your child.

Sincerely,

Ruth Steele

So in closing....my vote is no.

Posted by Erin
on May 5, 2015 at 7:20 pm

My husband and I both voted yes. My husband is a teacher in the Pleasanton district where there parcel tax failed twice. This then led to many layoffs and budget cuts that could have been avoided. As a parent of three children 8 and under, I don't want to see this happen here.

Posted by Ex-spouse of School Board Member
on May 5, 2015 at 10:02 pm

It is unbelievable that we must pay to vote. Yes, it may be minimal - a 49 cents stamp to mail the ballot, but it is the principle of the matter. Who makes the decision that it is mail-in ballot versus going to a polling location? Is this the way that the school district ensures that Measure A passes? The School District should pay the tab for the election - including postage paid envelopes!

Posted by Sam
on May 6, 2015 at 6:20 am

The parcel tax won.

You could drop off your ballot at city hall. Those instructions were included with the ballot.

Posted by Herman Glates
on May 6, 2015 at 9:33 am

Herman Glates is a registered user.

Whether you pay $0.49 cents for a stamp to mail in the ballot or if the postage is paid by taxpayers, either way you pay, unless you are one of the freeloaders who doesn’t pay taxes.