Town Square

Post a New Topic

Kitchen fire goes through the roof

Original post made on Aug 24, 2009

Oil from a stove burst into flames this evening around 7 p.m. shooting through the ceiling to spread to the attic and catching the shake roof on fire on Dapplegray Court in south Walnut Creek. The homeowner, who had been cooking tempura, rushed out of the home while calling 9-1-1, with her little girl and their dog, according to neighbors.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, August 20, 2009, 10:20 PM

Comments (1)

Like this comment
Posted by Jack
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm

It would be interesting to know if this home had an attic fan, and if so, did it have a fire saftety switch. I have noted many attic fan installations where the only switch is the thermostatic switch located near the fan. This switch is inaccessible to the homeowner. In the event of a fire the fan will turn on and create increased airflow which is NOT good for fire suppression.
There are safety switches available for installation that will cut the power to the fan should the temperature reach a certain level.
Check with your electrician.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

The valley needs strong leadership on BART board
By Tim Hunt | 3 comments | 7,025 views

3 Great Ways to Showcase Your Strengths on College Applications!
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 530 views