The Art on hARTz studio, of which I am a member, is preparing for an exhibition of the group's work at the Diablo Valley College library on the Pleasant Hill Campus. Entitled "Paintings, Pictures, Puns," the show runs from October 15 through December 14, with an opening reception from 1:00 to 4:00 on October 20.
Located at 524 Hartz Avenue in Danville, Art on hARTz is what remains of the Pioneer Gallery and studios that occupied the entire building from October 2007 until March 2009. The building currently houses Rakestraw Books and four upstairs suites, one of which is home for the studio.
Five of the six studio artists will be exhibiting at DVC.
- Kevin Davidson is a painter of religious iconography whose work has been viewed by Pope Benedict.
- Gwen Harris employs a combination of pallet knife and brushwork to create pronounced textures and blends of paint in her work.
- Leslie Ruth, following in a family tradition of women artists, expresses love of detail, color, and life in her watercolor paintings.
- Kathy Wills is currently focused in her painting on cityscapes and the elements that make up a city.
- I create "visual puns" in 2-D and 3-D constructions; I also "skaint" (apply paint to surfaces with roller skates).
Joining the studio group and spearheading the exhibit effort is Kasia Kessler, a fine-art photographer working in film, digital, and alternative photographic methods.
These artists are fortunate to be exhibiting at this venue. Diablo Valley College is dedicated to promoting area artists and their work in the exhibitions held at the college library. DVC has one of the richest digital media and arts programs in the California community college system. The library is located on the main campus, at 321 Golf Club Road in Pleasant Hill.
The October 20 reception will feature music by Mistral, a woodwind quintet whose repertoire will include, symbolically, selections from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition."
For more information, visit artonhartz.weebly.com; contact me; or contact Kasia Kessler, 925-933-2466, firstname.lastname@example.org
John A. Barry is a writer and avocational artist. To share anything art-related or to pitch a story idea, call him at 314-9528 or email email@example.com